• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt recovery

I'm aware debt recovery firms frequent this forum.

Just wondered if any could have a look at the thread below and assess chances and difficulty of recovering the outstanding fee.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-contract.html

I've began the dunning process but the agency have made no reply to initial correspondence.

You've only been at it a couple of days. Dunning takes a bit longer than that and it escalates to sign for letters. You also have to know what to put in the letters to show them you mean business. Have you quoted the late payments act and advised you are going to be charging interest as per the act?

IMO you are going to have to prove you know what you are doing and mean business. If you aren't doing what I mention and whatever else you need they will just be laughing at you.

Have a look at payontime.co.uk and see if you are doing everything you need to.

Also PM safecollections who are our regular debt contributors.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only been at it a few days agreed, but given the situation I've stipulated shortish deadlines. TBH I can can only see this being settled via debt collection.

Comment

Your call. I don't know what the debt collection agencies charge but it's pretty clear the agency are in the wrong not paying you. You just have to show them some muscle.
        It's pretty hard getting payment from an agency that have just missed paying an invoice normally in 5 days but good luck.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 9 January 2017, 20:56.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We didn't respond to the original post as NLUK, SueEllen and others had already covered the basics in relation to dunning.

As it has only been 5 days we would suggest you continue trying to resolve this with the agent, but make sure they have a clear deadline and warn them that if you don't have a resolution after two weeks you will take further debt recovery action.

Then you can either get a quote from a debt collection company or send a Solicitors Letter/Letter Before Action warning of legal action in seven days if not paid in full (this shouldn't cost more than £5 at most).

Hope that helps.
          The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Working...
          X