• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help Desk Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Desk Query

Bit of a random one for you all, but hoping one of you professionals will know the answer or point me in the right direction.

My PC at home has 2 monitors (a Dell & an Acer) the Dell is my main monitor (Nr 1 in the display settings) I tend to leave PC on overnight but turn the monitors off.

Sometimes (with no discernible pattern) when I go to turn on the monitors the desktop only appears on the Acer & the Dell says “no input” or some such thing & I have to restart (yes it’s a 1st world problem)

I have 2 graphics cards & I have tired both monitors plugged in to one card & one monitor per card.

BGG also has the same issue, but it does not bother him so he CBA to find a solution (if there is one to be found)

Is this just one of those windows glitches that happens or is there a setting I can tweak to save me from having to turn it off & on again?

TIA
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

I think it's a Windows glitch.

I often sleep my laptop but can't get the screen to wake up without a hard reset.

What version of Windows? I'm guessing 8+?

Comment

Possibly caused by windows rebooting?
      It's a good idea to reboot your computer at least once a week, and if it's a laptop it's a very good idea to switch it off when not in use.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        Bit of a random one for you all, but hoping one of you professionals will know the answer or point me in the right direction.

My PC at home has 2 monitors (a Dell & an Acer) the Dell is my main monitor (Nr 1 in the display settings) I tend to leave PC on overnight but turn the monitors off.

Sometimes (with no discernible pattern) when I go to turn on the monitors the desktop only appears on the Acer & the Dell says “no input” or some such thing & I have to restart (yes it’s a 1st world problem)

I have 2 graphics cards & I have tired both monitors plugged in to one card & one monitor per card.

BGG also has the same issue, but it does not bother him so he CBA to find a solution (if there is one to be found)

Is this just one of those windows glitches that happens or is there a setting I can tweak to save me from having to turn it off & on again?

TIA
        I was getting the same thing since updating to win10, updating the graphics card drivers seems to have fixed it (radeon card)

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          What version of Windows? I'm guessing 8+?
          Version 7 Pro (it works)

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          It's a good idea to reboot your computer at least once a week,
          Desktop - gets turned off on a Thursday night

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          updating the graphics card drivers seems to have fixed it
          Ohh good shout, not done them in a while - will try.

Thanks All
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

I have same problem with 1st monitor not showing on occasions. Ok on restart. Looked on net and never found a solution that works. Is yours an Intel processor?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I have same problem with 1st monitor not showing on occasions. Ok on restart. Looked on net and never found a solution that works. Is yours an Intel processor?
              Yes
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Double check your power settings and just make sure you don't have something buried in there that puts it into hibernation mode.

I presume when you see the no input message, you give the mouse a wiggle, hit the space bar a few times and it doesn't wake up?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Double check your power settings and just make sure you don't have something buried in there that puts it into hibernation mode.
                  Checked prior & no

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I presume when you see the no input message, you give the mouse a wiggle, hit the space bar a few times and it doesn't wake up?
                  Correct only a power down / restart brings the monitor back
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    Checked prior & no

Correct only a power down / restart brings the monitor back
                    Dear Jones.

We will be reverting you to previous response and closing this call. Much thanks.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X