• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Corbyn suggests maximum earnings limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeremy Corbyn suggests maximum earnings limit

Linky

I think he's shooting himself in the foot at every opportunity, this along with the comment that "he would be prepared to join striking Southern Rail workers on the picket line in their long-running dispute over the role of guards".

That's the general election lost if he's still in charge.

Rather than give pay rises, firms will keep 5 workers at the £10/hour rather than the 8 workers they had at £6/hour.

At the other end, he's campaigning for the end of Premier League football. Out of touch much?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

While I think it's a daft idea it's not going to lose him an election. Those who would be affected already vote Tory. And probably most of those who like this kind of idealistic idea already vote Labour. I suppose it might pick up a few Green/LibDem idealists but I don't think Jez is saying this to gain votes, he's just saying it.

Presumably the limit would be something like several million a year anyway.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        While I think it's a daft idea it's not going to lose him an election. Those who would be affected already vote Tory. And probably most of those who like this kind of idealistic idea already vote Labour. I suppose it might pick up a few Green/LibDem idealists but I don't think Jez is saying this to gain votes, he's just saying it.

If the Tories sell his idea as stupid correctly, it'll sway football fans from voting for him. There are many non-Tory football fans out there, that's for sure.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Perhaps he should suggest that big businesses pay their fair taxes and that the same HMRC rules are applied across the board - to politicians, corporate directors as well as the smaller businesses that are currently being hit.
          He might find he picks up a few disgruntled Tory voters.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Perhaps he should suggest that big businesses pay their fair taxes and that the same HMRC rules are applied across the board - to politicians, corporate directors as well as the smaller businesses that are currently being hit.
            Because that would be sensible and the only 2 explanations I can come up with is Labour want to lose or half of Labour members are Tory activists with a spare £3.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Or that he will start from scratch with the tax system; currently it feels like successive governments have just layered rule upon rule upon rule rather than tackling the underlying problem. Create a tax system that reflects today's employment market rather than keep adding to one that revolved around a wifey-stays-at-home model.

There also needs to be a more aggressive approach to tackling evaders; it's currently too easy to just keep squeezing the known tax payers.

Comment

Here's my constructive comment on said story. Corbyn is a bellend.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Here's my constructive comment on said story. Corbyn is a bellend.
                  In related news, the Titanic sank.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

As nuts as this policy would be, I think that's broadly correct, although I think he has a much lower limit in mind. FWIW, polling on this shows that opinions are fairly evenly divided. The problem is that it feeds into a wider narrative of incompetence, because his comments were clearly off the cuff. No figure, and no idea on the shadow front bench about any such policy. It was speculative. It makes The Thick Of It look aspirational.

Comment

Working...
                    X