• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let's Encrypt SSL Certificates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Encrypt SSL Certificates

Anyone got an experience of this?

https://letsencrypt.org/

Vidahost are offering it free if I transfer from an old legacy package to their new Cloud Hosting, I need to change anyway as the version of PHP they offer on legacy servers are out of support.

Ultimately I would like to move to EV certificates, but given I have a number of different sub domains the total price racks up to get them all "green barred" which seems to be the minimum standard people expect these days.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I know a lot of people using it successfully, and am planning on using it myself. The most important thing is to keep on top of certificate renewal, as they only last (IIRC) three months. But if it's being offered by your hosting provider, they should have that automated, and it's trivial to automate it yourself if they leave that up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I know a lot of people using it successfully, and am planning on using it myself. The most important thing is to keep on top of certificate renewal, as they only last (IIRC) three months. But if it's being offered by your hosting provider, they should have that automated, and it's trivial to automate it yourself if they leave that up to you.
      Originally posted by Vidahost
      Install Let's Encrypt standard Domain Validation Certificates (HTTPS), free of charge. Let's Encrypt Certificates are simple to install, recognised by all major browsers and will auto-renew every 90 days
      The site does not handle any financial data on the site, its all mainly username and passwords, so it's better than nothing I suppose
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

there's a list of supporting hosts on the site. I'm on namecheap and they don't let you do it - at least it's on the list as not letting you.

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/...s-encrypt/6920

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          seems to be the minimum standard people expect these days.
          No, it isn't, even though SSL sellers would like you to believe that.

Comment

Working...
          X