• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IOS and MS Development Kits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOS and MS Development Kits

Afternoon All,

being an Investor In People and looking towards the future, I have tasked MB03 and MB04 to think up next best thing phone apps.

MB03 is really getting into the spirit of the exercise.

For fun, I'd like to see if I can channel this energy and enthusiasm into MB03 having a go at developing apps for either:

. Windoze 10

or

. IOS

From doing my own research (which we must all do when considering investments) it seems, and I happy to be proven wrong, it seems that if one wants to build IOS apps from one's bedroom then you need a MAC pc or you're done at the first hurdle.

So it looks like we'll have to start with Windoze 10 apps and go from there, because we'll never own a MAC pc.

And hence the question, can one of the Windoze Boyz amongst us recommend a free, reliable Windoze 10 development kit (IDE).

Thanks,

Milan in "this time next year" mode.

Visual Studio Community Edition... it's virtually the full-blown version of the industry standard tool. Databases, web-dev, C++/C#/etc.

And yes while you CAN do some iOS coding without a Mac it's a pain in the proverbial and really not going to enthuse anyone to get developing
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You might get better answers if you post in technical.

I use Visual Studio 2015, it has a community edition which is free. There is also Visual Studio Code which is free and runs on a variety of platforms, never used it though.

I use a my old 2009 MBP to build iOS apps - even if you wanted to use xamarin or Cordova you could could still do the dev work on the windows machine and build on an old second hand beat up MBP.

I don't think you are going to make money with a windows phone app. I have one and I much prefer it to an iphone or android phone but there are less of us than ever. I imagine the future for windows phones will be for work phones, integrates well in MS products and the security is good.

Comment

thanks dooog and woohoo,

dooog yes I read a bit about the peculiarities of creating virtual machines on Windoze to get the IOS working, and yes there's the possibility to buy an old Mac, but for now, and this answers your comment too woohoo, I agree, there's a much smaller market for Windoze apps than IPhone, but for now, before I spend any hard earned, I want to see if MB03 is interested to have a go and gets into it, if yes, then I'll go the buy the old Mac route.

Thanks for confirming Visual Studio Community Edition.

This time next year.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Visual Studio Community Edition... it's virtually the full-blown version of the industry standard tool. Databases, web-dev, C++/C#/etc.
          It's ridiculous. I slightly resent having paid money for VS2010 Pro a few years ago now the free version has everything.

Check out Intel XDK. It can package an HTML5/JS app for all the different platforms; IIRC (and I've never done it) without having to resort to buying an Apple product.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

thanks will check it out

Milan.

Comment

JavaScript contract market

How you guys finding the gigs these days? Rates under pressure it seems?

Comment

oh dear

Milan.

Comment

The community edition of VS is missing the multi-targeting abilities of it's big brother. Not tried to target IoS but is reckons it's possible. IIRC there's an emulator in there somewhere for both iphones and ipads. Get a Microsoft Action Pack subscription (which c/w a full MSDN license) so you can run TFS/VSO/VS2015. Buy it through your limited co. You'll also get all the latest server OS's and Office Applications and SQLServer.

Comment

For a quick and dirty app this is pretty good, cheap and fairly simple. www.b4x.com.

Comment

Working...
                    X