• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No spare parts...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spare parts...

Our cooker went bang a couple of weeks ago and we got an engineer out. He thought it was a couple of things, so he ordered the replacements and came out today to fit them.
    They didn't fix the problem, but on further investigation he finds that the main PCB has blown.
    He checked the usual spare parts places and none of them had it in stock. He phoned Cannon and was eventually told "we don't carry that spare nor do we make it, goodbye".

The cooker is about 6 years old. It cost £600. It's now useless.

The engineer's best suggestion is to call them, complain politely and see if they will give me money off a new model.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

It's the same thing with washing machines - once it's little brain is gone, the whole caboodle is useless

Comment

I thought (though the evidence suggests otherwise) that there was a legal requirement to ensure the availability of components for a number of years (10, or was it 20?) after a product ceases to be manufactured. If there isn't then surely there should be. This is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Our cooker went bang a couple of weeks ago and we got an engineer out. He thought it was a couple of things, so he ordered the replacements and came out today to fit them.
        They didn't fix the problem, but on further investigation he finds that the main PCB has blown.
        He checked the usual spare parts places and none of them had it in stock. He phoned Cannon and was eventually told "we don't carry that spare nor do we make it, goodbye".

The engineer's best suggestion is to call them, complain politely and see if they will give me money off a new model.
        Great suggestion .

Is that so they can shaft you, again, when they do not have the spare part for the new one in the future?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          I thought (though the evidence suggests otherwise) that there was a legal requirement to ensure the availability of components for a number of years (10, or was it 20?) after a product ceases to be manufactured. If there isn't then surely there should be. This is crap.
          I am of course completely wrong.

Appliance Spare Parts Availability And The Law

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

They don't make it or they no longer make it? There's a possibility that it was always manufactured by someone else and so google might be your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              They don't make it or they no longer make it? There's a possibility that it was always manufactured by someone else and so google might be your friend.
              No longer make it, and the third party ones that were out there are all discontinued too.

Comment

Have you tried E bay?

Plenty of that sort of thing on there?

e.g.

CANNON Oven C60DPCF C60DPX C60DPX(T) C60DPXF Igniter Unit & PCB | eBay
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've tried. It's the C60ETC (the C60ETX has the same PCB)

Comment

You could always invite darmstadt round to take a look. He may not be able to fix it, but at least it would get you over the "no spare parts" hurdle.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X