• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Grand Prix Silverstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Grand Prix Silverstone

I am thinking of taking my boy to the British GP this year as a treat (for us both). Prices not cheap however, even the 'cheapest' tickets. Sat qualifying is half the price as the actual race on Sun as you would expect, but is still a lot and would probably want to go on the Sunday.

I may just take the plunge and go for it, so does anyone have any tips - best place to watch in the open area, travelling/parking etc ?

Has anyone also ever been to say Spa in Belgium, which would work out the same price as Silverstone factoring in travel and accommodation ?

An ex colleague from years ago used to go the GP in France because it was better value for money. Apparently it had a good range of seats that afforded a decent view of the track. I have no idea if there still is French GP, or whether it's just the tarts parade in Monaco.

Comment

I remember few years ago, it was cheaper to go watch a grandprix in Europe than in Silverstone. Rip off Britain as usual.

Once Corbyn comes in, we should see less of this capitalism madness and most things should become affordable.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        I remember few years ago, it was cheaper to go watch a grandprix in Europe than in Silverstone. Rip off Britain as usual.
        The UK GP is about the only one on the circuit not receiving government backing, so they have to make all the money from punters (I cannot see Corbyn wanting to subsidise it )

Even with it being a sell-out every year, for the whole weekend and even Friday, it's struggling to stay afloat.

If you just want to watch a race I would say go abroad. But Silverstone is very special in terms of the party/festival atmosphere so it depends how much of a fan you guys are.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          I am thinking of taking my boy to the British GP this year as a treat (for us both). Prices not cheap however, even the 'cheapest' tickets. Sat qualifying is half the price as the actual race on Sun as you would expect, but is still a lot and would probably want to go on the Sunday.

I may just take the plunge and go for it, so does anyone have any tips - best place to watch in the open area, travelling/parking etc ?

Has anyone also ever been to say Spa in Belgium, which would work out the same price as Silverstone factoring in travel and accommodation ?
          Was thinking of going to Spa, I think it's a better track and less hassle. Not had a chance to book it and it have to be next yr now because of other things

Comment

I did a track two-days at Spa, and great as it was I imagine getting tens of thousands of people in there must be a nightmare. Only about 3 hours out of Calais though. Monza might also be a good bet; unfortunately there's no German GP this year.

I last went to the British GP in 1990. But if you just want to see cars I've been many times for the tests, including last year which was £15 for 2 days. The best grandstands to watch from are obviously the ones with the highest ticket price.

Unfortunately Bernie always wants to get as much money out of the circuits as possible and so they're all losing money on every event. Which is somewhat short-sighted to say the least. But then as much as people moan about the ticket prices for Silverstone it does more or less sell out every year.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Been to the British GP a few times and it's a really good day out with lots of atmosphere.

Best bet is to avoid driving if you can and get the train to Milton Keynes. There are special coaches that head straight to Silverstone which avoids the epic tailback.

Lastly, try and get seats which are undercover as its miserable when it rains.

Comment

Spa has it's own rail station apparently.

Hungary GP is normally cheap

Getting in and out of Silverstone used to be a nightmare I imagine it is a lot better now.

Comment

Forget the greedy GP. Go to a local circuit to watch a couple of races. The entry fee is usually around £15 (Oulton park is anyway) and you'll get a couple of qualifying races (one for each actual race) in the morning and then the actual races in the afternoon. The smaller tracks usually let you walk around the paddocks as well. Heres some info on Oulton Park F3

Failing that do Le Mans 24 du heures. Still a real event, spend as much as you want for comfort.

Comment

+1 for Oulton Park - I live near ish to there and for a few years I was getting the annual pass think it's about £99 and allows entry to everything - including the british GT/F3 and Touring Cars and the Gold Cup

For someone new to racing I can heartily recommend the GT/F3 meet as there is nothing to stir your soul as much as the sound of some of the ferraris/mclarens/aston's going full pelt round the circuit - unforgettable

Comment

Working...
                    X