• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unaffordable property prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unaffordable property prices

First-time house buyers reach nine-year high, says Halifax
    More first-time buyers got on to the property ladder in 2016 than in any year since 2007, but would-be home owners now need to raise over £32,000 on average for a deposit, figures show.

The number of first-time buyers is estimated to have reached 335,750 in 2016, according to Halifax.

It is the highest figure since 359,900 in 2007, and marks the third consecutive year that the number has topped 300,000.
    https://www.cml.org.uk/news/press-re...third-quarter/

Cheap as chips housing, I blame this glut on the govt.

this is why we all need to vote Labour at the next election and get them to solve the housing crisis by building 1million new homes

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      this is why we all need to vote Labour at the next election and get them to solve the housing crisis by building 1million new homes

Milan.
      I prefer addressing the demand side by relocating government up north out of London and the SE, and reducing migration down to around 100k a year. Chuck in some punitive BTL, second home, and foreign owned taxes, and things would settle quite nicely.

No need to concrete over the south of England and turn or roads into a car park.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        I prefer addressing the demand side by relocating government up north out of London and the SE, and reducing migration down to around 100k a year. Chuck in some punitive BTL, second home, and foreign owned taxes, and things would settle quite nicely.

No need to concrete over the south of England and turn or roads into a car park.
        apart from punishing BTL (there is a demand and it houses people) I agree.

I would also make Council housing a 2 year contract reserved for the most needy.

50K immigration was sustainable.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          apart from punishing BTL (there is a demand and it houses people) I agree.

I would also make Council housing a 2 year contract reserved for the most needy.

50K immigration was sustainable.
          We are at 350K net immigration now and rising rapidly. Will be over a million a year in a few years and population density in the SE will rival Hong Kong.

Enjoy the multicultural excitement it will bring to all!

Comment

We need to build a city like this every year to cope:

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              We need to build a city like this every year to cope:

Can we just dump it all inside the m25 and build a big wall around it please.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Human greed.

It will be our undoing.

Probably sooner than later....

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Then more people in council housing will just buy their properties decreasing supply even more...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Then more people in council housing will just buy their properties decreasing supply even more...
                    HMG should be compelled to ringfence the proceeds from council house sales for the construction of more council housing. Sorted.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X