• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear : Now I work for Tesco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear : Now I work for Tesco

Just popped to my local Tesco Express to pick up a bottle of Chablis to go with my evening meal, and was confronted by a bank of new tills. I had to scan the food myself (And wait for the purchase of alcohol to be approved by a manager!!), bag it according to the female voices instructions and slow on screen animations, and pay by chip and pin. Took twice as long as having the cashier do it.

I don't know when I'll be issued with my uniform, but I feel a bit sorry for the polish people who must now be redundant....
    Vieze Oude Man

I hate those things. If you're buying more than 3 things at once, their sensors can't cope and they start accusing you of nicking stuff. But because they're machines, they can't really argue their case so you just have to wait until they get bored.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      I hate those things. If you're buying more than 3 things at once, their sensors can't cope and they start accusing you of nicking stuff. But because they're machines, they can't really argue their case so you just have to wait until they get bored.

just wait until they become self-aware
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        just wait until they become self-aware

I really like them!

I guess if you work in Tesco's your whole life, putting on a suit, doing the monday morning train journey, and the hotel for 4 nights etc would be amazing.
        For me, spending 10 minutes zapping my food through on one of those bleep machines is excellent fun
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

My local Tescos had those for a year or so, and have now taken them out again. Yaay!
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

These are fun

When ever I'm confronted with these I always make sure I enlist the help of a member of staff - this means that the quick automated method is at least 47 times slower than just doing it properly in the first place.

Some FD and IT Director will be looking like real banans, how much???

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
              I really like them!

I guess if you work in Tesco's your whole life, putting on a suit, doing the monday morning train journey, and the hotel for 4 nights etc would be amazing.
              For me, spending 10 minutes zapping my food through on one of those bleep machines is excellent fun
              Why do you keep looking at my botty?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I thought this was a contractors' site?

I just send my man down to Fortnum & Mason to pick up the groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  Why do you keep looking at my botty?

Cause it wobbles so nicely - its a bit like looking in a very flatterring mirror!
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

The bloody thing did, at one point, say something like 'unauthorised item placed in bag'.... the manager hovering around the area pressed something on the screen and jiggled the carrier bag that was sitting on some sort of pressure pad type thing... I presume that it is supposed to weigh the items to see if you put something in that is different from what is scanned...

I wonder what cheap item weighs the same as their most expensive bottle of wine.... hmmmm.....
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X