• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed rate VAT rate / Silver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed rate VAT rate / Silver

Hi,

My Company is thinking of making some 3D Printed statues made of Silver.

If I were to spend a couple of thousand pounds next year laying up some metal supplies for this venture - silver bars - would this prevent me from being one of those low expenses companies that the government is so keen to destroy?

I was thinking that the tax savings from the flat rate VAT scheme would more than pay for the silver.

Huge

(and yes I could ask my accountant, but that would deprive the assembled multitudes from finding similar cunning plans}

To be exempt from the new cost trader flat rate scheme of 16.5% you would need to do this each quarter and below is what the qualifying expenditure would need to be:

Less than 2% of your VAT inclusive turnover in a prescribed accounting period, or

Greater than 2% of your VAT inclusive turnover but less than £1000 per annum if the prescribed accounting period is one year (if it is not one year, the figure is the relevant proportion of £1000)

The issue here is that capital expenditure is excluded from the qualifying expenditure so wouldn't. Once the consultation period is finished there will be a further update to firstly, if all contractors are going to be targeted or just those that have been abusing the scheme and secondly the full list of qualifying expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil@InTouch View Post
      To be exempt from the new cost trader flat rate scheme of 16.5% you would need to do this each quarter and below is what the qualifying expenditure would need to be:

Less than 2% of your VAT inclusive turnover in a prescribed accounting period, or

Greater than 2% of your VAT inclusive turnover but less than £1000 per annum if the prescribed accounting period is one year (if it is not one year, the figure is the relevant proportion of £1000)

The issue here is that capital expenditure is excluded from the qualifying expenditure so wouldn't. Once the consultation period is finished there will be a further update to firstly, if all contractors are going to be targeted or just those that have been abusing the scheme and secondly the full list of qualifying expenditure.
      Neil, do we know if the 1% first year discount is likely to apply to the new rate?

Ta.
      teapot

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
        Neil, do we know if the 1% first year discount is likely to apply to the new rate?

Ta.
        teapot
        When the draft legislation was issued previously, this did not mention any removal of the 1% discount for the first 12 months of your VAT registration. So, in my opinion, this discount will continue to apply for new registrations.

Plus, when HMRC updated the flat rate guidance on their website for the anti-forestalling rules, they kept the 1% discount information in. So, they might be under the same impression!

Comments on the draft legislation finish at the end of Jan 2017 and we'll know for sure shortly afterwards
        We're all ears!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil@InTouch View Post

Isn't this backwards? I would have to spend more than 2% to be exempt from their evil scheme?

In which case I might as well spend 2% of my turnover on the silver bars because they will be effectively free if I pay 14.5% instead of 16.5% VAT.

I presume buying supplies to make something from is "qualifying expenditure". if not, one would always be better off buying something that does qualify, since whatever you buy is zero cost after the tax saving.

Comment

Doesn't silver cause a problem with his Vat category as he would be trading significantly in something that isn't his main trade?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post

Ta.
              teapot
              Yes 1% will still apply in the first year...according to discussions we have had with HMRC earlier this month.

Comment

Thanks both.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                  Isn't this backwards? I would have to spend more than 2% to be exempt from their evil scheme?

In which case I might as well spend 2% of my turnover on the silver bars because they will be effectively free if I pay 14.5% instead of 16.5% VAT.

I presume buying supplies to make something from is "qualifying expenditure". if not, one would always be better off buying something that does qualify, since whatever you buy is zero cost after the tax saving.
                  I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that whatever you buy is "zero cost". Do you not incur any input VAT on your normal expenses? Do you know how much ACTUAL profit (i.e. your flat-rate surplus less your input VAT costs) you were making from being on the FRS scheme? The FRS was not a tax-saving scheme, it was a paperwork/bookkeeping saving scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that whatever you buy is "zero cost". Do you not incur any input VAT on your normal expenses? Do you know how much ACTUAL profit (i.e. your flat-rate surplus less your input VAT costs) you were making from being on the FRS scheme? The FRS was not a tax-saving scheme, it was a paperwork/bookkeeping saving scheme.
                    I think I currently pay 14.5%, with the evil scheme I would pay 16.5% and do more paperwork.
                    So whatever I spend the 2% on that avoids the extra tax is more or less free.

As you may have guessed, I don't really understand this, but the choice for next year seems to be either:

a) leave the fixed scheme
                    b) find something to buy so at least you get stuff instead of squandering money paying the vermin.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X