• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lowest rate resi mortgage at 60% LTV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowest rate resi mortgage at 60% LTV?

As per title, and of course easy for a seasoned contractor to obtain.

Some of the best rates available late last year have now been pulled so I'm wondering which lender is best for my requirements now.

I've been looking at a few rates too as our mortgage fixed deal is up for renewal in a couple of months. House prices have shot up around here and after 2 years we're looking at around 63% LTV having started at 83% LTV!

I've not looked that extensively as that's what I'm paying my broker for (Ben @ Power Mortgages) but I've looked at my existing lender's rates (Coventry BS). At this level they are offering 1.39% fixed for 2 years with a £999 fee or 1.79% without the product fee. I think the longer the fixed term, the more beneficial it is to pay the fee for the lower rate. I think we're going to consider a 5 year deal, which we can get at 1.85% with a £999 product fee.

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety....ts/residential

They will assess income for Ltd company directors with > 20% share based on the company net profit after corporation tax + salary which for most would be much better than net personal income, though not necessarily as high as those who base it on day rate.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 16 January 2017, 12:02.

Comment

Personally I'd be asking a broker. Just chasing the rate isn't always indicative of the best deal. Some of them have setup fees which make the mortgage more expensive over the initial period than a slightly higher one with no fees.

I've just renewed one with RBS and I indicated to them I intend to swap again as soon as the initial rate period is over which meant none of the absolute lowest ones worked out best because of the setup fees. I was stuck with RBS for one reason and another but definitely something to consider. Instead of wasting my time wading through them all I'd be getting a broker on the case.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Personally I'd be asking a broker. Just chasing the rate isn't always indicative of the best deal. Some of them have setup fees which make the mortgage more expensive over the initial period than a slightly higher one with no fees.

I've just renewed one with RBS and I indicated to them I intend to swap again as soon as the initial rate period is over which meant none of the absolute lowest ones worked out best because of the setup fees. I was stuck with RBS for one reason and another but definitely something to consider. Instead of wasting my time wading through them all I'd be getting a broker on the case.
        Like I said above, I think the longer the fixed term, the more the lower rate/higher fee products work out.

For instance, on the 5 year deals I was looking at, based on repayments alone, the 2.05% rate would save us about £3.6k over 5 years in lower repayments (and interest of course) whereas the 1.85% rate would save us about £5.1k over the same period (£4.1k net of the £1k product fee) making it the better option.

You also need to take into account broker fees if you use one. We got a bargain for our initial mortgage and are still getting a discounted rate, but it all adds up if you're taking shorter terms.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Like I said above, I think the longer the fixed term, the more the lower rate/higher fee products work out.

For instance, on the 5 year deals I was looking at, based on repayments alone, the 2.05% rate would save us about £3.6k over 5 years in lower repayments (and interest of course) whereas the 1.85% rate would save us about £5.1k over the same period (£4.1k net of the £1k product fee) making it the better option.

You also need to take into account broker fees if you use one. We got a bargain for our initial mortgage and are still getting a discounted rate, but it all adds up if you're taking shorter terms.
          Thanks CP. Coventry do an awesome offset mortgage at just 1.49% (at 50% LTV, 2 year fixed). I might take out more than I need and leave it in the offset account for future investments.

Comment

Working...
          X