• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chip and pin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chip and pin

Anyone seen this? Worrying.

Chip and pin transactions
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Just pay with gold bars.

thre-you-know-the-drill.

Comment

If a subsequent transaction is issued as CNP (cardholder not present) after a C&P transaction is entered, it is declined by default since day 1.

The only reason this actually happens is during the transition period, and the customer is NOT responsible for the transaction unless the pin was entered (ie cardholder present).

Also, the PIN cannot be revealed over the phone by call centre staff - they don't have visual access to it.

It's a load of toss.

The real problem with chip and pin is:

1. Look over shoulder
      2. Follow person outside
      3. Bop them on the head and nick their card
      4. Empty the cash machine.

The bank don't refund then as the cardholder was apparently present! Unless you have a crime number, and that's hard to get in some parts of the country.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Every now and again I go places where the machine has broken and so you have to sign anyway. How is it more secure if a signature still works?

Plus if you go 30 miles to France where they've had chip and pin longer than us, your card doesn't work and you have to sign... I can only assume the credit card companies are certain that criminals won't think of going abroad to use stolen cards.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X