• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cruise Control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control

I've never driven a car with cruise control in the UK though have had it on hire cars in the US. The cars we're looking at now mostly have it but I'm unsure how good standard CC is in the UK where roads are busy and the person in front of you who doesn't have CC is forever changing speed. Is it a PITA using classic CC here?

A few cars have adaptive CC where it will keep a fixed distance/time to the car in front and this sounds hugely superior to me though I don't know if it literally means on the motorway you set it to 70 and when you hit a jam you don't need to touch the pedals at all.

Is it worth getting the better version or is it a nice bonus but nothing more? It limits our choices somewhat but if it's a killer feature that's worth it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've never driven a car with cruise control in the UK though have had it on hire cars in the US. The cars we're looking at now mostly have it but I'm unsure how good standard CC is in the UK where roads are busy and the person in front of you who doesn't have CC is forever changing speed. Is it a PITA using classic CC here?
    I had it on an A class Merc that I leased whilst commuting between Devon and Manchester on a contract a few years back.

I found it really useful despite what often amounted to heavy motorway traffic.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

my Chauffeur takes care of this for me.

INKSPE
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I love cruise control, and the speed limiter option for roadworks and helping me stay points free. It's just a little paddle under the steering wheel so very simple just to click on if you get in the routine.

I do a lot of motorway miles though so love it.

I'm not bought in to all this adaptive driving and anything that takes control away from you TBH so IMO just the normal one as a tool to aid me in certain situations but not take over. I'm sure I'm behind the times here and it's the way it's all going to but that's just my tuppence worth.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have it on my old 350z. It works quite well. Yes, there are plebs who can't maintain a constant speed but, when the road is clear and you're in one of those annoying average speed check zones, it's really handy.

My only problem is finding a comfy spot for my right foot that also allows me to react quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            my Chauffeur takes care of this for me.

INKSPE
            Booooom. And with that.. /thread
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If most of your driving is in town or on the M25 at rush hour then it's probably not worth having.
              If touching the brake, or pressing a button is too much hassle for you, then not worth having.
              For me, I like it because it stops me from speeding. Also, if I'm on a road and slowly catching someone in front, I'll just push the lever down a couple of times to drop 1-2mph down to their speed.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I love cruise control, and the speed limiter option for roadworks and helping me stay points free. It's just a little paddle under the steering wheel so very simple just to click on if you get in the routine.

I do a lot of motorway miles though so love it.

I'm not bought in to all this adaptive driving and anything that takes control away from you TBH so IMO just the normal one as a tool to aid me in certain situations but not take over. I'm sure I'm behind the times here and it's the way it's all going to but that's just my tuppence worth.
                <Place holder for London Manc to Make Bus Lane Joke>

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  <Place holder for London Manc to Make Bus Lane Joke>

Me? No.

Big plus for cruise control from me though, especially on motorways both for getting through the miles of 50 zones and for saving your knees.

That said, I did hear about someone mistaking cruise control for auto pilot and ending up in the wrong lane once.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Mine has the basic type, and it can be a PITA and if you're not careful you find yourself getting too close to the car in front as you resist turning it off. So I don't use it a whole lot. I like it a lot more driving through France; a few times I've been able to set to to cruise at 160kph (100mph) and go over an hour without once having to touch it.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X