• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forgot my headphones at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot my headphones at home

This is going to be a long day

Well it gives you the opportunity to sit somewhere quiet and read a good book on English so your next thread title is better.

HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've never understood how anyone can "work" and listen to headphones at the same time.

If I was running a company I'd ban them, or sack anyone seen using them while pretending to work!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I've never understood how anyone can "work" and listen to headphones at the same time.

If I was running a company I'd ban them, or sack anyone seen using them while pretending to work!
        I'm never sure how anyone can work without them in an office. There's five other people here and unless I've got them in, you're bound to get involved in some chit-chat.

Comment

I'm mostly with you on this. There are occasions I don't think it has a negative impact though but then it needs managing so easier to say no.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They moved 'my desk' its now in the group of hot desks amongst telesales its like Jericho with the trumpets there. Headphones are a must if you want to concentrate.

Admittedly last time I was actually in the office was 3 months ago.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I work better with music on, but hate wearing headphones so that pretty much precludes doing that in an office. A good thing about WFH is that I can.

I had one client where I was in a large open plan office with sales people making loud phone calls. Some people couldn't cope at all and had to wear headphones all day, but it never bothered me. I prefer some noise to the deathly silence you get in some workplaces.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm in an open plan office so about 30 people in ear shot. But I mainly wear so that I don't have to listen to the devs asking why there code doesn't work

Comment

When I've worked in an office I've used ear phones, with music you just tend to ignore it. But I tend to tune into what people are saying without them and it can be distracting. Also, if you use earphones well, so not wear them 8 hours a day it's a great indicator to people that I'm in full on concentrating mode.

I find if you hire professional then you should leave them to decide how they want to work. If you are hiring tulip people and your idea of managing them is to tell em not to wear headphones then you are doing a crap job.

Comment

Got the whole ELO anthology to get through.

There's not enough hours in the evening so earphones at work are a must!

Comment

Working...
                    X