• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what happens if there's a terrible deal at the end of negotiations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May has said, both the Commons and Lords have to vote on it.
    Currently constituted the Lords would vote against it.
    And would MPs vote for a bad deal?
    If the deal was rejected, would the vote be to keep the status quo or leave without any deal?
    Clear as mud.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

That is why Labour said in effect she's opted for a Soft Brexit

I've posted a similar link, her strategy is to leave the single market and then sign bilateral deals to get bits of it back.

errr Switzerland anyone

This will look very much like a Swiss deal probably. I could imagine that they'll set up a new court staffed by the same people who are in the European Court of Justice.

I thought Trump was thick but it looks like the Tory Brexiters are even thicker

That's why the pound is up, her speech has "Switzerland" stamped all over it
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 January 2017, 15:45.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      May has said, both the Commons and Lords have to vote on it.
      Currently constituted the Lords would vote against it.
      And would MPs vote for a bad deal?
      If the deal was rejected, would the vote be to keep the status quo or leave without any deal?
      Clear as mud.
      By the time the cart gets to you at the end of the aisle, the prospect of two delicious choices of 'chicken' or 'beef' will be long gone. Only a luke warm 'not sure' will be on offer, and the veggie option should have been ordered in advance. So take the meal or go hungry. That's the choice.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I've posted a similar link, her strategy is to leave the single market and then sign bilateral deals to get bits of it back.

errr Switzerland anyone

This will look very much like a Swiss deal probably. I could imagine that they'll set up a new court staffed by the same people who are in the European Court of Justice.

I thought Trump was thick but it looks like the Tory Brexiters are even thicker

The pound went up as soon as she mentioned that the Commons and the Lords would get a vote
        But seriously, by doing that she's given the EU an incentive to give us a crap deal.
        I'm beginning to think there's more to May than meets the eye - everything she said prior to the referendum indicated that she believed leaving would be harmful to the UK.
        No reason to believe she's changed her mind.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Maybe she's keeping an option open for no Brexit at all.

Because bad deal = Either no Brexit or economic chaos.

General election at that point, to decide?
          Last edited by sasguru; 17 January 2017, 15:59.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

It would be to leave without any deal, by default, at least in May's view. But, let's face it, continuity Bremoan isn't going to take this lying down and the Irish case led by Maugham et al. is aiming to get a deferral to the ECJ on whether A50 is reversible. One way or another, the reversibility of A50 will be determined. However, in practice, it would happen as follows, even if A50 is determined to be reversible:
            • May puts vote, and identifies it as an issue of confidence.
            • The vote succeeds in both houses, we're out on the agreed terms. If not, proceed.
            • The gov't falls, an election is called on the confidence issue, the Tories win emphatically, a vote is called, we're out on the agreed terms (possibly via destruction of the Lords ).

But that's what Sterling is responding to today, primarily, along with "sell the news", and Trump's rhetoric on the strong USD.

Comment

You persistently reject reality I believe I told you, on several occasions, that May would opt for the approach she outlined today. The response from Sterling was for the vote in both houses, because it leaves the possibility that the gov't will need to collapse, first, in order to meet May's rhetoric about taking no deal rather than a bad one, and no one can really predict the political situation two years from now. However, let's be clear, the approach she's adopted is extremely hardline and completely different to what you'd been predicting. The cognitive dissonance is amusing though.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                It would be to leave without any deal, by default, at least in May's view. But, let's face it, continuity Bremoan isn't going to take this lying down and the Irish case led by Maugham et al. is aiming to get a deferral to the ECJ on whether A50 is reversible. One way or another, the reversibility of A50 will be determined. However, in practice, it would happen as follows, even if A50 is determined to be reversible:
                • May puts vote, and identifies it as an issue of confidence.
                • The vote succeeds in both houses, we're out on the agreed terms. If not, proceed.
                • The gov't falls, an election is called on the confidence issue, the Tories win emphatically, a vote is called, we're out on the agreed terms (possibly via destruction of the Lords ).

But that's what Sterling is responding to today, primarily, along with "sell the news", and Trump's rhetoric on the strong USD.
                Yeah I think there'll be an election before this is all decided. And if Corbyn is ousted before then, I don't think the outcome is that clear.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

There will be a deal

A lot of people frothing at the mouth with glee at the prospect of the UK crashing out of the EU. But the truth is the UK will need a close deal with the EU. May's job is to pull the wool over the eyes of the journalists and readers of the Sun, the Daily Express and the Daily Mail, so they think they've "won back sovereignty" but actually what will happen is old structures will be replaced with similar new structures. However since these ardent "Brexiteer Journalists" are as thick as p*gsh*t, it'll be a straightforward task
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

There is guarantee that the deal will be God aweful, then this happens -

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2358259

Comment

Working...
                    X