• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Saddest Thing About Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Saddest Thing About Brexit

Morning All,

what I find to be the saddest thing about Brexit is:

a) Nobody can say what the final modus operandi will be

b) Nobody can say whether Britain/Life will be better after Brexit or not

c) It is going to take for fecking ever

d) It is going to cost a fortune

e) With all of the above uncertainties, what level of confidence does this give businesses big and small ? (apart from of course the consultancies involved in the Brexit negotiations and advising all and sundry on the Brexit. I am working from the same building as PWC, already last year they were milking Brexit with seminars for business leaders on what Brexit means)

f) May's speech yesterday, we're not going to be half in or half out, but actually, what we are preaching is effectively half in half out, because actually there's no other way

and the biggest crime, since everybody's attention from the Prime Minister down to the road sweeper is focused on discussing Brexit, arguing, philosophising, this massive distraction is taking time and attention away from real issues which the government should be working on

Basically, there's this side show called Brexit, nobody knows if it is a comedy or a tragedy, and all the while, it is distracting everybody's attention from working on real issues.

Very sad, anyway, not my problem, but it is an embarrassment when foreigners ask me about Brexit.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Very sad, anyway, not my problem, but it is an embarrassment when foreigners ask me about Brexit.

Milan.
    You're overthinking it. When they ask, just explain that Brexit means Brexit. If they act like that makes no sense, further explain that it will be a red, white, and blue Brexit. That should clear things up.

Comment

Morning All,

e) With all of the above uncertainties, what level of confidence does this give businesses big and small ? (apart from of course the consultancies involved in the Brexit negotiations and advising all and sundry on the Brexit. I am working from the same building as PWC, already last year they were milking Brexit with seminars for business leaders on what Brexit means)

f) May's speech yesterday, we're not going to be half in or half out, but actually, what we are preaching is effectively half in half out, because actually there's no other way

and the biggest crime, since everybody's attention from the Prime Minister down to the road sweeper is focused on discussing Brexit, arguing, philosophising, this massive distraction is taking time and attention away from real issues which the government should be working on

Basically, there's this side show called Brexit, nobody knows if it is a comedy or a tragedy, and all the while, it is distracting everybody's attention from working on real issues.

Milan.
      Even sadder is that it didn't have to be like this, and it didn't have to happen.

The failing of weak domestic politics and EU ideology combined.

The seeds of this were planted many years ago, and left unattended to grow grotesque.

A plague on both their houses!
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Morning All,

Milan.
        Very nice but misses the point.

The direction of Britain is controlled by 27 other countries. At no point has anyone in the UK been asked if we are happy with this until now. And the result is that we aren't.

This has built over many years under many governments, both Tory and Labour.

The EU Commission comprises a number of politicians who have been allowed to set themselves up as a government of all, without ever having been elected by us and with no way of the UK removing them. In short, this is their political empire by the back door.

Since we decided to leave we have been bombarded with threats and abuse from members of that empire. Tweets from one ofvthevestablishment yesterday were close to being Nazi. We need to stand up to these people. If that means a bit of disruption then so be it otherwise Europe will become a modern version of the USSR.

Comment

Morning All,

Milan.
          If a) and b) were known, then surely they'd have replace Project Fear on the Remain side and Nigel's BS on the Leave side? Or is that too logical?

c) and d) Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd rather we get it right than do it quickly; nobody will remember in ten years that it took 24 rather than 12 months, but we'll all know if we get it wrong.

e) The "experts" have continually called things wrong. May the doom-mongering experts carry on their merry way funded by whichever gullible fools are backing them.

f) Trade will continue. We already trade with countries outside the EU and they trade with EU countries. We've not just signed up to lock ourselves away.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This.

For example, people might not have seen this but 61% of the National Grid has just been sold to 'foreigners'...

http://investors.nationalgrid.com/~/...0-%20Final.pdf

https://www.ft.com/content/6f421412-...5-b8b81dd5d080
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

the point of the thread is not how we got to Brexit

the point of the thread is...

imagine there was no Brexit, what work would be consuming the government's time ?

hmmm...

Improving Schools

Improving NHS

Foreign policy

Improving Britain's regions

Fixing the potholes

well that's all gone out the window for the next ten years because everybody's going to be tied up in Brexit meetings for the next ten years without any time of capacity to do the other stuff that they would have been doing had Brexit not happened

And to cap it all, the Brexit is going to be a feckup - no matter what Brexiters say, by the time everything is negotiated, we're going to end up like Norway or Switzerland, paying a fortune in to have the trade benefits, adhering to every law anyway, and getting nothing out - I told you so.

The scandal is that those who seduced the Brexit voters had no plan in place, because they never expected to win.

Brexit is providing a fantastic distraction to either hide other things the government is up to, or, enable the government not to work on other things, or both, because they are "busy with the Brexit"

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                This.

For example, people might not have seen this but 61% of the National Grid has just been sold to 'foreigners'...

http://investors.nationalgrid.com/~/...0-%20Final.pdf

https://www.ft.com/content/6f421412-...5-b8b81dd5d080

that's precisely the point Brexit is enabling the government to bury other news

Milan.

Comment

Agree with you Milan, Brexit is shooting yourself with both barrels.

And now it's obvious that it's a hard Brexit (what other choice was there?) the plebs who voted for it are going to be fooked.

Fook them though, they deserve it, should have worked harder at school.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

the point of the thread is not how we got to Brexit

the point of the thread is...

imagine there was no Brexit, what work would be consuming the government's time ?

hmmm...

Improving Schools

Improving NHS

Foreign policy

Improving Britain's regions

Fixing the potholes

well that's all gone out the window for the next ten years because everybody's going to be tied up in Brexit meetings for the next ten years without any time of capacity to do the other stuff that they would have been doing had Brexit not happened

And to cap it all, the Brexit is going to be a feckup - no matter what Brexiters say, by the time everything is negotiated, we're going to end up like Norway or Switzerland, paying a fortune in to have the trade benefits, adhering to every law anyway, and getting nothing out - I told you so.

The scandal is that those who seduced the Brexit voters had no plan in place, because they never expected to win.

Brexit is providing a fantastic distraction to either hide other things the government is up to, or, enable the government not to work on other things, or both, because they are "busy with the Brexit"

Milan.
                    The same argument could be said for the EU. Brexit will be very consuming for the EU. Not completely, but very much.

They have big issues to sort out too, including debt levels, unemployment, migration, nationalism.

Events dear boy, will play a big factor in things going forward.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X