• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happening to VED in 2 years for used cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's happening to VED in 2 years for used cars?

Looking at newish used cars most dealers have mentioned the VED is "£30 for the next two years" or similar. I found this about (seemingly quite drastic) changes to VED from this year:

New VED road tax: all the facts on the 2017 UK car tax changes | Auto Express

But I'm left confused what this means for used cars? And what this first year/first 3 years stuff is about. How do the rules change, and when, if I buy a 2015 car, or a 2013 car? Economy is a big factor in the car we want to get but this makes it look like we might as well not bother getting a slightly smaller car/engine for the VED savings?!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

That only applies for cars registered after April 2017. Cars older than that will fall under the other model...
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...u-need-to-know
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The age of the car determines which VED scheme/scam you fall under. My 3.5l gas guzzler only costs £280 a year because it's an 04. If it were 6 months (maybe 12) newer, it would cost me circa £400.

Comment

So it's a rule that cars stay in the same scheme at the time they were first registered?

So when the dealers say "VED for the next two years is £30" are they talking nonsense, or is the likelihood the bands already in existence WILL change but only slightly to follow inflation, etc, rather than be revamped?

TLDR; choosing a car in lowest VED bands A-C (£0, £20, £30) is still sensible and won't be trashed by changes coming in?

Comment

My crystal ball isn't being very cooperative unfortunately. To date, the charge is largely linked to the age of the car and there's an inflationary (hmm) increase each year. It's impossible to say whether the £30 charge will stay that way after the 2 years are up.

Comment

If you are concerned that a £20,000 car has £30 tax next year and possibly £40 the year after, you're maybe worried about the wrong figures.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              If you are concerned that a £20,000 car has £30 tax next year and possibly £40 the year after, you're maybe worried about the wrong figures.
              What about the £20k car that is £0 right now and £140 come May?

Comment

If you buy it new right now, it might be £0. If you wait until May and buy it new then, it might be £140.
                If you are buying a second hand car, the change in VED will only be the usual annual increase, you won't be put into a new banding.

Comment

Jeezuz

So lets say you fancy the new ford mustang v8 - on the road cost £36k ash

CO2 output 281 G/km

tax
                  2k for first year

just I dunno seems like you are paying a premium for a high co2 car right at the start...

so you will just end up baking it into the on the road price with the dealer and it just becomes another purchase tax?

or have I missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I never understood why people worry about an extra £100 on car tax when having an uneconomical gas guzzler will be costing you thousands more per year in petrol.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X