• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iz it cuz I Tip?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iz it cuz I Tip?

This restaurant boss says tipping staff is "racist" - and here's why - Birmingham Mail

Mr Meyer says giving the waiter/waitress an additional charge, a percentage of the bill, has its roots in the American Civil War.

Back in the midst of the conflict, the US Government accepted a petition from restaurants not to pay servers.

Instead, they were to leave that to customers' discretion.

The fee meant no one could argue they were enslaved.

And, as you probably know, the American Civil War was about slavery.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Typical yank-centric twaddle. Tipping for good service was in the UK long before the US civil war. A history of tipping - Business Insider
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I thought giving a tip ensures a happy ending.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Excellent! Means an incredibly mean person like me can refuse to tip at ethnic restaurants and applaud myself for my liberal values!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Typical yank-centric twaddle. Tipping for good service was in the UK long before the US civil war. A history of tipping - Business Insider
          indeed but you have to admit its a great excuse to put your prices up by 25%.

Comment

I know local papers are struggling with the death of classified ads, but a Birmingham paper running a clickbait story based on some bloke's ramblings in a podcast that's entirely about the USA is just ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I know local papers are struggling with the death of classified ads, but a Birmingham paper running a clickbait story based on some bloke's ramblings in a podcast that's entirely about the USA is just ridiculous
              Global 24 hour news innit

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Global 24 hour news innit
                Meanwhile they've laid off their reporters to save money. How are the fine people of Birmingham supposed to find out what happened at the Edgbaston Women's Institute meeting now?

Comment

Working...
                X