• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oops that's going to sting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops that's going to sting

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-judah-adunbi

The police watchdog has launched an investigation after officers Tasered a race relations champion who has worked to improve links between the force and the black community.

Judah Adunbi, 63, was Tasered by police outside his home in Bristol on Saturday when officers apparently mistook him for a wanted man.

Video recorded by a neighbour shows police scuffling with Adunbi as he tries to get though the gate of his home in the Easton area. He falls to the ground after a Taser is discharged. Adunbi said later he thought he was going to die.

so who was wrong?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The Police, it says they mistook him for a wanted man.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What is the difference between inlaws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted....

Comment

That report is a bit lacking in detail. It says there is a clash as he tries to get into the gate of his home. What does that mean exactly? Was he violent? It also says he refused to give his name. Why would an innocent man do that? It makes sense to be cooperative with the police.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The Police, it says they mistook him for a wanted man.
          https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...police-powers/

The police can also arrest you if they have reasonable grounds for suspecting you have committed or attempted to commit any offence, or if you are committing or attempting to commit any offence, but it is impractical or inappropriate to serve a summons. However, they can only do this if one of the following conditions applies:

they do not know, and cannot get, your name
          they think you have given a false name

Unfortunately I suspect they had reasonable grounds, he looked like a known criminal, he refused to give his name and tried to escape.

The taser was overkill.

He should have provided ID, gone on his way and then made an official complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            That report is a bit lacking in detail. It says there is a clash as he tries to get into the gate of his home. What does that mean exactly? Was he violent? It also says he refused to give his name. Why would an innocent man do that? It makes sense to be cooperative with the police.
            there is a video he tries to go through his gate and lock the Police outside.

Comment

there is a video he tries to go through his gate and lock the Police outside.
              Not watched it and I suspect he'll kick up a big fuss, but if you're not going to co-operate with the feds when they're outside your house then you can likely expect to find yourself assisting with enquiries at the station. I'd expect a 'race relations champion' to understand that much.

Comment

full 8 mins on this link

Investigation as Bristol police Taser prominent member of their own race relations group in the face | Bristol Post

Comment

He should have provided ID, gone on his way and then made an official complaint.
                  What ID should he have provided as I don't believe it is mandatory in the UK?

When the police stop you and ask you for an explanation, you don't need to provide your personal details.
                  Maybe he was trying to get into his house so that he could get something to show the police, no-one knows yet...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    What ID should he have provided as I don't believe it is mandatory in the UK?

Maybe he was trying to get into his house so that he could get something to show the police, no-one knows yet...
                    watch the full 8 minutes and read the link.

The officers asked for ID (which at the end appeared to be in his wallet on him) he refused. They warned him as they had reasonable suspicion he was a wanted felon they would have to arrest him if he didn't provide ID. They are entitled to do that. They warned him he could be tazered and hand cuffed he refused to comply. He FFed & Blinded at them throughout and became aggressive. He tried to go through the gate & slam it behind him to escape, even more reasonable suspicion. They stopped him escaping.

At the same time some chap was shouting at them & filming while a crowd were being whipped up by the onlooker it could of got very nasty. Only a small subset of the film was put on the Guardian website.

Apparently the police were wearing Body cameras, lets see what that looks like. This is my suspicion how many stop & searches play out, the member of the public gets angry and the Police get scared.

However neither side looks good.

Comment

Working...
                    X