• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of Brexit 2: The Veg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of Brexit 2: The Veg

https://www.theguardian.com/business...her-vegetables

Next we'll have meat going up in price big time.

Fecks sake, was it really worth it?

Gordon Bennet atW! Stop please!

PS Oh, that article doesn't mention Brexit. Are you going to post about sofas/squirrels and put a Brexit heading?

PPS Funny how, given global warming, they are getting low temperatures in Southern Europe. I always thought the film "The Day after Tomorrow" was bollox, now I'm not so sure. maybe the artic will suddenly sweep down and Freeze London under 15 feet of ice.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 January 2017, 10:42.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS Oh, that article doesn't mention Brexit. Are you going to post about sofas/squirrels and put a Brexit heading?

PPS Funny how, given global warming, they are getting low temperatures in Southern Europe. I always thought the film "The Day after Tomorrow" was bollox, now I'm not so sure. maybe the artic will suddenly sweep down and Freeze London under 15 feet of ice.
      Wasn't that to do with the Gulf stream moving? If it did it would feck up the UK, Iceland and the Faroe Islands completely.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Its great really before our "Friends" start punishing for leaving we have a reason to start moving towards self sufficiency.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Wasn't that to do with the Gulf stream moving? If it did it would feck up the UK, Iceland and the Faroe Islands completely.
          <Remainer Mode>
          Brought to you by the same man who brought you White House Down & The Patriot hardly a beacon of credibility.

</Remainer Mode>
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Next we'll have meat going up in price big time.

Fecks sake, was it really worth it?
            OMG.......if only there were some mechanism by which we could somehow manage to grow our OWN vegetables?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              OMG.......if only there were some mechanism by which we could somehow manage to grow our OWN vegetables?

There is, except the farmers won't get any EU subsidies any more and they won't have any cheap foreign labour to pick the veg.

Can you explain how this mechanism of yours will work then?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                There is, except the farmers won't get any EU subsidies any more and they won't have any cheap foreign labour to pick the veg.

By making food prices very expensive.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Instead of being subsidised by the EU (largely in the interests of the French Farming Community) to leave land sitting fallow, it will become worth their while to actually plant vegetables.

They could then harvest these and sell them for a profit. The profits could, of course, be used to pay locals to work on the farms.

Free market economics at work.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Let him Xoggoth... At least he is not posting about house prices anymore !!

Oh hold on, AtW how would Brexit affect house prices ... you probably discussed this already and I missed it.... I usually come here when am in between contracts etc

Comment

Working...
                    X