• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with affiliate links, Tradedoubler etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with affiliate links, Tradedoubler etc

Hi,

Just looking to earn a few pennies (I have no delusions about making big $$$) and have just got a few queries. I will probably sign up with Tradedoubler.
    1) they state you require a uk based site. I have a .net which was purchased through a US company. All my content is UK based though. Will that be OK??
    2) Should I give them my www.domain.net or where my pages are actually stored? I have my pages hosted for free at users.lycos.co.uk/Pmorgan, so would I register with Tradedoubler with that address or simply my www.domain.net?

Yours confused,

Piers:\

re

1)yes
    2)both

Comment

re

oh, and yer paper's sh.it

Comment

Tradedoubler

Tradedoubler detects the referrer site, as well as the reference information in the link.

It will only award credit for correct links.

As such, you will need to register BOTH domain names - although I am not sure it accepts ISP-space URLs

It may be (but maybe not...) that you will need to have your domain "properly" hosted for tradedoubler to work.

Others that you might find useful are www.cj.com and www.affiliatefuture.co.uk (and not forgetting amazon.co.uk)

Comment

Re: Tradedoubler

It's been a while, but my site is almost ready to go online, bt before I do I need to get as many affiliate links on there as I can. Just wondering what people would reccommend in terms of UK-based affiliate schems (apart from those already mentioned above)?

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Piers

Comment

I need to get as many affiliate links on there as I can
            Big mistake. Don't try to put as many on as possible. By all means sign up to several affiliates, but only use a couple at a time.

What you want is subtle advertising. If I see a site with loads of adverts in a row, along with the content, I'm immediately turned off of clicking on any of the ads, even if they look interesting.

Ideally, you want a banner add, and a smaller one in the margin. And make sure it complements your site. That way it looks like you did a bit of work selecting the advertiser, and you are also more likely to get a higher click rate.

Comment

yup Dazza12 - that's exactly what I have in mind - minimizing all banner ads etc and concentrating on personal reccommendations.

But!

Thanks people.

I see that CJ do offer text links but they are their own really obvious commercial links like "Save up to 60% with Holiday Extras. Best prices guaranteed for uk airport parking, hotels and lounges." I prefer to have more subtle personal text links like "the company that I usually use is xyz holidays". I don't see that it makes much of a difference - they still get their referals and as long as I don't slag them off in tha actual link....

But am I permitted to do this?

Thanks Piers

Comment

more affiliate sites

more useful affiliate sites

affiliate window
                omg media
                affiliate future
                web gains
                miva

worth trying a few

Comment

with most as long as you have the correct tracking url you can use relevant text links no problem. each affiliate operator shows you what you can and cant do in their programs. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                    more useful affiliate sites

affiliate window
                    omg media
                    affiliate future
                    web gains
                    miva

worth trying a few
                    Considering that the last post in this thread prior to yours was over 4 years ago I am guessing they have found some solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X