• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just as you thought it could not get sillier!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as you thought it could not get sillier!!

'Payments' for prison cold turkey

The prisoners claim their human rights were violated
    Six prisoners and former inmates who say they were forced to stop taking drugs by the "cold turkey" method are expected to get out-of-court payments.
    The test case over claims human rights were breached and the practice amounted to assault is due to take place.

Some claimants were said to have been receiving alternative treatment before coming under the responsibility of the Prison Service in England and Wales.

Shadow home secretary David Davis said a "disastrous" precedent could be set.

A Home Office spokeswoman said it was inappropriate to comment on the case while the litigation was still ongoing.

'Sharp detoxification'

The High Court proceedings focused on six test cases chosen from a total pool of 198 claimants.

The claimants were bringing the action based on trespass, because they say they did not consent to the treatment, and for alleged clinical negligence.

Their barrister Richard Hermer told an earlier hearing in May: "Many of the prisoners were receiving methadone treatment before they entered prison and were upset at the short period of treatment using opiates they encountered in jail.

"Imposing the short, sharp detoxification is the issue."

Mr Davis said: "Presumably the Government does not want to be embarrassed by losing such a case under its own human rights legislation.

"Drugs are a scourge on society and completely undermine all our other efforts to fight crime. By doing this Mr Reid would be letting down the taxpayer, the victims of these offenders and the drug addicts themselves."

Prison Reform Trust director Juliet Lyon said the case could see courts "pause for thought" before using jail terms as a way of making sure an offender receives treatment.

"Our overcrowded jails are awash with petty, persistent offenders who commit crime to feed their drug habit," she said.

But the Department of Health said a programme, supplemented by the Home Office, to increase drug treatment for prisoners, allowed inmates to fight their addiction before their release into the community.

A spokeswoman said there had been no cuts to funding.
    So they not only take illegal drugs, they commit crime to fund this habit. Then when they get caught and banged up and refuse treatment, we have to compensate them as we have infringed their Human Rights. Is it just me??

Hell....handcart....doomed...etc.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

It's only fair.
    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

So, if you were a sadistic rapist...

Comment

Bring back hard labour

...Show them some real punishment. The community could benefit from some new railways and roads; everyones a winner.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Put ‘em on the next scheduled Al Quayeda rendition flight to Camp X-Ray. The conditions there would make cold turkey seem small fry (boom boom!)
          "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

I thought prisons were swimming with narcotics. Didn't they like the price or something?

Comment

This story as per usual, has been incorrectly reported in the sabre rattling press. Never let the truth get in the way of a good white van man gingoistic rant. The inmates were refused methadone.

What's the world coming to? hell in a handcart etc. FFS
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                ... The inmates were refused methadone.

Oh poor dears!!!! Imagined getting maltreated like that.
                Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Hmmm,

Do you think I could go to the doctor and ask for some methadone and then sue when i'm refused? Or will I have to get a hard drugs habit first?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Hmmm,

Do you think I could go to the doctor and ask for some methadone and then sue when i'm refused? Or will I have to get a hard drugs habit first?
                    steps:

1. do hard drugs
                    2. steal & kill to fund your habit because you can't afford to to pay for it
                    3. get caught, go to prison
                    4. get some money for being maltreated
                    5. use money to buy more hard drugs
                    6. go back to #1
                    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Working...
                    X