• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch out pedestrians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out pedestrians

Should cycling be allowed on pavements? - BBC News

Police in one London borough have said they will not prosecute cyclists who ride on the pavement, but is the decision a good move for safety and will it be adopted in other parts of the country?
    Officers who work in Camden say they will not enforce the law "without good reason" and instead want to look at why riders are taking to paths instead of using the road.
    Inspired by a similar operation launched by West Midlands Police, officers will talk to cyclists they see using pavements in the Primrose Hill area of the city, as well as stopping and warning drivers who overtake cyclists with a gap of less than 1.5m.
    They hope to identify the most dangerous spots where riders "feel forced" onto the path.
    should get the drivers seething.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

To be fair cycling on pavements is mainly ignored anyway.

I've seen a couple of cyclists stopped by police for cycling on them but they were both at the end of two different cycle lanes which became another cycle lane 300 metres away.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If cyclists can respect that pedestrians have definitive, unarguable right of way on pavements I think it's OK. Any pedestrian who is harangued by a cyclist for getting in their way should be allowed to knock said cyclist off his /her bike
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If cyclists can respect that pedestrians have definitive, unarguable right of way on pavements I think it's OK. Any pedestrian who is harangued by a cyclist for getting in their way should be allowed to knock said cyclist off his /her bike
        Some pavements are shared use.

That's where conflict often occurs as pedestrians have to be told that.

Oddly it's not people who you would expect to have difficulty getting out of your way who don't, but the opposite.

Comment

I think law should stay as it is.

A cyclist got to near to baby bp once.
          Mrs BP - "Oi!"
          Cyclist : "He was in my way"
          Mrs BP : "Doesn't your Mum let you cycle on the road?".

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oddly it's not people who you would expect to have difficulty getting out of your way who don't, but the opposite.
            Even with shared use pedestrians should still have priority.

When asked politely to let me and baby bp past, most pedestrians seem pleased a young person is getting some exercise instead of playing call of duty.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              There's an underpass I used to use that has a small wall dividing the cycle lane from the footpath. Some dozy bint on her bike got on the wrong side of the wall. Instead of getting off and pushing, she tried to carry on, ringing her bell warning the pedestrians to get out of her way. It wasn't greeted with the greatest tolerance.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Wide pavements like that usually have clearly defined psychopaffs.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  There's an underpass I used to use that has a small wall dividing the cycle lane from the footpath. Some dozy bint on her bike got on the wrong side of the wall. Instead of getting off and pushing, she tried to carry on, ringing her bell warning the pedestrians to get out of her way. It wasn't greeted with the greatest tolerance.
                  nothing is treated with tolerance in Switzerland. Unless it results in profits for Switzerland in which case anything goes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Even with shared use pedestrians should still have priority.

When asked politely to let me and baby bp past, most pedestrians seem pleased a young person is getting some exercise instead of playing call of duty.
                    Not if they are clearly mobile adults blocking the entire path.

I've have that issue running and walking in the same/opposite direction as well.

Incidentally it's those with walking toddlers and those with difficulty walking who will get out of your way, when you have identified from a distance that you best really slow down.

Comment

Working...
                    X