• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2017/2018 Student Maintenance Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017/2018 Student Maintenance Loan

Hi there. After 30 years as a permie I'm about to start my first day rate contract and Ive setup a limited company.

I wont be paying myself a salary until next financial year and once I do I will be just paying myself enough to get by on a monthly basis and be able to get decent credit etc. I will then take dividends as and when best to do so.

My daughter will be going to Uni in September and will be applying for student finance. Do you know if the element of the student maintenance loan, that is dependent on parents income, is determined on net monthly income or if it would take account of annual dividends too? In other words, is there a way she could get close to the maximum maintenance loan by my creative accounting?

Cheers,

Simon

The best thing you could advise your daughter right now is to avoid a lifetime debt by choosing to study on the continent (or Scotland).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It includes dividends, as I know to my cost as I have recently packed two off.

Send them to Germany or Denmark where it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The best thing you could advise your daughter right now is to avoid a lifetime debt by choosing to study on the continent (or Scotland).
        Scotland welcomes English (and Welsh / NI students) by charging them £9250 more than they charge Scottish Students.

Also the Scottish Universities are doing badly due to being far more financially restricted by the Scottish Government than English universities who receive £9250 per student.

As for where to go to Uni, the advice I got from Student Loans is to head to Germany
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Scotland welcomes English (and Welsh / NI students) by charging them £9250 more than they charge Scottish Students.

Also the Scottish Universities are doing badly due to being far more financially restricted by the Scottish Government than English universities who receive £9250 per student.

As for where to go to Uni, the advice I got from Student Loans is to head to Germany
          Must everything by about race? Get on the electoral role in Scotland, then it doesn't matter where you come from.

More money does not mean better education, as has been proven in England with the countless with higher education and no jobs.

Near 50% of the courses taught at MTU here in Munich are in English. Graduates also receive many incentives to stay once graduated. Polar opposite from UK that'll leave many Brits baffled.

Netherlands and Denmark are also good bets, imo.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Must everything by about race? Get on the electoral role in Scotland, then it doesn't matter where you come from.

More money does not mean better education, as has been proven in England with the countless with higher education and no jobs.

Near 50% of the courses taught at MTU here in Munich are in English. Graduates also receive many incentives to stay once graduated. Polar opposite from UK that'll leave many Brits baffled.

Netherlands and Denmark are also good bets, imo.
            It isn't about race it's about residency.

For example if you have English parents or even French parents but you have lived in Scotland since you were 11 then you are treated as a Scottish home student for university fee purposes not as English or French.

And it makes sense to try and keep.some if the people you have subsided the education off.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by STF666 View Post
              Hi there. After 30 years as a permie I'm about to start my first day rate contract and Ive setup a limited company.

I wont be paying myself a salary until next financial year and once I do I will be just paying myself enough to get by on a monthly basis and be able to get decent credit etc. I will then take dividends as and when best to do so.

My daughter will be going to Uni in September and will be applying for student finance. Do you know if the element of the student maintenance loan, that is dependent on parents income, is determined on net monthly income or if it would take account of annual dividends too? In other words, is there a way she could get close to the maximum maintenance loan by my creative accounting?

Cheers,

Simon
              It does include dividends, but if you time it right you can at least avoid it counting for the first year.

Parental income is based on the previous years income IIRC, so for the first year at least Divi's won't count, and depending on when you declare them might not count for the 2nd either.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X