• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh no: House prices continue upward move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh no: House prices continue upward move

House prices continue upward move

The market is still seeing strong price growth

UK house price inflation picked up in September, according to the Department of Communities & Local Government.

Prices rose by 0.8% in September, pushing the annual rate of house price inflation up from 7.7% to 8%.

The cost of the average UK property rose from £197,631 to £198,552 between August and September, the DCLG said.

Annual house price inflation rates rose in England, Scotland and Wales, but fell slightly, from a very high level, in Northern Ireland.

Wales saw the strongest growth spurt, with annual price inflation rising from 7% to 10.3% in September. In England, the rate increased to 7.2% from 6.6%, while in Scotland it edged up from 12.7% to 12.9%.

But in Northern Ireland, which has seen strong price growth this year, annual inflation fell from 26.6% to 23.6%.

House prices could well see further significant increases in the near term
    Howard Archer, Global Insight

House price inflation rose in seven of the nine English regions and fell in the East and South East of England.

The buoyant London market continued to lead the way, with annual house price inflation hitting 9%.

Expectations exceeded

House price growth in 2006 has exceeded most analysts expectations, due to shortage of supply and strong economic growth.

Last week, the Bank of England raised UK interest rates from 4.75% to 5% to help quell inflationary pressures.

But according to Howard Archer, chief UK economist at Global Insight, the interest rate hike may not take the heat out of the housing market. (AtW: too right, jack up rates to 10% and then lets see what happens)

"Current elevated mortgage activity and a shortage of supply in many areas (especially London and the South East) means that house prices could well see further significant increases in the near term," Mr Archer said.

But over the long term Mr Archer added that he expected house price inflation to cool, due to the fact that property is becoming unaffordable to many.

------------

For Chico's sake, don't they read this forum?

Doomed, etc.

Comment

I'm still enjoying the AtW comments that you make.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Well I hope it doesn't take the heat out of the market. I'm looking forward to some real carnage out there when the bubble does pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          Well I hope it doesn't take the heat out of the market. I'm looking forward to some real carnage out there when the bubble does pop.
          Aye. Unfortunate that I have to buy now, but I don't really want all the hassle of renting while I wait for the pop.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Atw. You are merely confusing yourself.

Why are you always posting house stuff anyway? You know you will never buy a house or a flat or a parking space. What's your interest for?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Looks like i will have to buy a house finally after years of renting because of the doomsday stories by bloody media. barstewards.

Comment

Working...
              X