• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Brexit is a done deal, how are you going to cope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Brexit is a done deal, how are you going to cope?

Under no scenarios whatsoever is Brexit likely to improve the economy in the short to medium term.
    And as Keynes (I think) said "In the long run we are all dead".
    So what are your plans?
    You probably dont need one in the best case scenario of stagflation, but probably need to be planning something more radical if WTO rules come about.

Practical things I can think of:

Get private health insurance
    If you're public sector, go private
    (Both of the above as public sector funding is set to be squeezed under the Tories with no effective oppostion)
    Get rid of your mortgage if you can
    Get dual nationality if you have a European connection (gives more options)
    Transform your BTLs to cash asap, if you have any
    Liquidity is king, especially of the non sterling kind
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

[QUOTE]Under no scenarios whatsoever is Brexit likely to improve the economy in the short to medium term./QUOTE]

I can think of plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post

I can think of plenty.
      Do enlighten us.

Actually so can I but it's limited to the Toot Toot! Brexit gravy train, which has very limited and exclusive tickets.
      Last edited by sasguru; 25 January 2017, 12:45.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Keeping most of cash in foreign currency ouside of UK banking system - only matter of time before Krazy Korbyn replaces Tory Scum, Kapital Kontrols are imminent komrades

Yours,

AtK

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Keeping most of cash in foreign currency ouside of UK banking system - only matter of time before Krazy Korbyn replaces Tory Scum, Kapital Kontrols are imminent komrades

Yours,

AtK
          If there is an economic collapse under the Tories, that scenario is not as far-fetched as it sounds.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            If there is an economic collapse under the Tories, that scenario is not as far-fetched as it sounds.
            Price of beer is reported to go up by 15% already

Comment

Cash in euros but keeping my FTSE 100 stocks, most of them are independent of Britain anyway, they'll just shove their operations around to suit whatever deal Britain gets.

The assets not to hold are cash, UK gilts and property, I would also steer clear of FTSE 250 companies, unless they're not British based, and UK retailers and property companies.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Price of beer is reported to go up by 15% already
                More tax to the treasury.

Anyway newsflash - a policy document will be released will detail what Brexit will mean.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is nonsense scaremongering. Theresa has said the we can happily march towards prosperity using WTO terms. The fact that we need every WTO member to agree is a mere detail.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Cash in euros but keeping my FTSE 100 stocks, most of them are independent of Britain anyway, they'll just shove their operations around to suit whatever deal Britain gets.

The assets not to hold are cash, UK gilts and property, I would also steer clear of FTSE 250 companies, unless they're not British based, and UK retailers and property companies.
                    About right, but wouldn't hold any cash in Euros either. Dollars or CHF.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X