• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alt Facts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt Facts

Yesterday we were told that an executive order had been signed in the US banning federal agencies from hiring.

Today we are told that an executive order has been signed in the US for 10,000 immigration officials to be hired.

Which executive order Trumps the other, or is it one of those things where we shouldn't take words literally?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Yesterday we were told that an executive order had been signed in the US banning federal agencies from hiring.

Today we are told that an executive order has been signed in the US for 10,000 immigration officials to be hired.

Which executive order Trumps the other, or is it one of those things where we shouldn't take words literally?
    The hiring freeze was a conditional one (not applicable to the military, national security, and some other areas), and it only lasts for 90 days, until they have a plan for long-term attrition.

Comment

It's best not to overthink these things. Or think about them at all, in fact.

Comment

WTFH is the best CUK Mod we've ever had. Period!

What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In Trumpton, no-one can hear you scream...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            In Trumpton, no-one can hear you scream...

Comment

I saw a couple of anti-Trump memes about this. Without knowing the US system, I'd rather thought that the first order stopped agencies from hiring on their own authority, but he has direct authority to command hiring in specific cases which overrides this. In which case it's not a contradiction at all, the ruling is simply "you can't hire without my personal say-so"?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I saw a couple of anti-Trump memes about this. Without knowing the US system, I'd rather thought that the first order stopped agencies from hiring on their own authority, but he has direct authority to command hiring in specific cases which overrides this. In which case it's not a contradiction at all, the ruling is simply "you can't hire without my personal say-so"?
                There are exceptions. Political appointees aren't included (i.e. positions that Trump and his team nominate), it gives freedom to the Office of Personnel Management to make individual exceptions and, most importantly, there are broad exceptions for the military, national security, and public safety. I would guess that the immigration hires come under public safety. But, essentially, you're correct, there's no contradiction.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  There are exceptions. Political appointees aren't included (i.e. positions that Trump and his team nominate), it gives freedom to the Office of Personnel Management to make individual exceptions and, most importantly, there are broad exceptions for the military, national security, and public safety. I would guess that the immigration hires come under public safety. But, essentially, you're correct, there's no contradiction.
                  Immigration comes under National Security, hence his announcing the wall bulltulip on the day he visited the DHS

Comment

I see that he is allowing the Dakota oil pipeline to go ahead which is going to cause more friction. Interesting that he owned shares in the company that is to do the work and although he has said they have been sold/transferred there is no proof of that. Interesting that it is also a Canadian company which will be doing the work and at the end of the day, it will only provide 35 full time jobs. Bloke is a total dick...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X