• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holocaust Memorial Day: Survivor recalls 'hell on Earth'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sobering read.

By Andrew Woodger BBC News
    Frank BrightFrank Bright/BBC
    Frank Bright with his father Hermann in Berlin; as a boy; on his 1945 visa application. and today at his home in Suffolk
    Aged 16, Frank Bright was taken to Auschwitz. He avoided the gas chambers, but his mother and father did not. Now 88, he visits schools in the UK to talk to pupils, in the hope that future generations will learn from the mistakes of the past.

Mr Bright can still remember the "terrible" stench of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the concentration camp where he arrived on 12 October 1944.

"It was the stench of death," he says. "People had the power of life and death over you. It was hell on Earth."

Mr Bright was living in Prague when he was sent to Auschwitz with his mother a fortnight after his father. He made it out. They never did.

His parents were among an estimated 1.1 million people killed at the camp in Poland during World War Two.

He has never forgotten their fate, and is determined that no-one else does, either.

Holocaust: Frank Bright remembers being separated from his mother
    Now retired and living near Ipswich, Mr Bright still visits schools in the area to share his own terrible experiences with students.

Born Frank Brichta in Berlin in 1928, he was brought up as the only child of Hermann and Toni Brichta.

The Nazis came to power in Germany in 1933, but it was not until 1938 that the Jewish family decided to leave.

"Things started to get pretty bad. I remember a newspaper vendor on the corner had cartoons on his stand which were anti-Semitic," Mr Bright says.

(l-r) Unknown couple, Frank Bright, Toni BrichtaFrank Bright
    Frank Bright (second from right) last saw his mother Toni (furthest right) when they were separated on arrival at Auschwitz
    "The Nazi newspapers showed Jews with big noses either dressed as Russian communists or American capitalists in top hats. Either way you couldn't win; you were a menace."

The family fled, but by Mr Bright's own admission, went "the wrong way". They headed east to Czechoslovakia because his father, who was born there, had a Czech passport, rather than attempting to emigrate to western Europe, the United States or Palestine.

They settled in Prague when Mr Bright was 10, but the Germans were not far behind, occupying Czechoslovakia in March 1939.

As Jews, the family faced restrictions on what they could do, although Mr Bright did attend a Jewish school until its closure in 1942. In July the following year, they were sent to the Jewish ghetto created in the military fort of Teresienstadt, north of Prague.

Jewish school children, PragueFrank Bright
    Frank Bright (circled) at a Jewish school in Prague during the occupation by Nazi German
    By then aged 14, he was living in a separate part of the fort from his parents and working as a locksmith, although he was still allowed to meet up with them.

But in October 1944, his father was put on a train to Auschwitz as the mass evacuation of the ghetto's inmates to concentration camps began.

It was the last time Mr Bright saw him. A fortnight later, he and his mother made the same journey.

Upon arrival, mother and son were separated. Mr Bright was declared fit for work, but he believes his mother was sent straight to the gas chambers.

"My parents were murdered there: my father first and then my mother on the day she arrived there with me," he says.

Auschwitz concentration camp and artefactsGetty Images
    Auschwitz - shoes from prisoners, canisters of the poisonous Zyklon B gas used to kill inmates and one of the gas chambers
    "I was turned to the other side for people chosen to work: not to work properly, but to be worked to death.

"At the time I didn't know what was happening - we were confused, but I think my mother had an idea."

A few hours later, when he spoke to fellow prisoners, he learned what the chimney fumes and smoke signified.

"I remember wondering which came from my mother," he said.

"As a method of mental preservation, an emotional curtain comes down - it doesn't sink in.

"There were no tears at the time - you couldn't afford them if you wanted to survive.

"My grieving came later in life."

He left Auschwitz five days later to be put to work in a propeller factory in Friedland in modern-day Poland.

"The aim of the SS was to kill us, too. The fact that they wanted to make use of us wasn't out of the goodness of their hearts."

After seven months of slave labour, the 16-year-old was freed in May 1945 when Soviet troops pressed west and the Germans retreated.

Auschwitz, 1945Keystone/Getty
    German civilians were made to look at the corpses at Auschwitz at the end of World War Two
    Map of central Europe
    After making his way back to Prague into the care of the Red Cross, he eventually secured his passage to London where he was able to live with distant relatives, who he had only met once before.

Frank Bright and two others on roof of Palace of WestminsterFrank Bright
    Frank Bright (left) pictured on the roof of the Palace of Westminster when he worked for the Ministry of Works after World War Two
    Eventually he was able to build a life for himself as a civil engineer in Canada before returning to the UK to work with local authorities, including Suffolk County Council.

He married an English woman, Cynthia, and the couple have two daughters: Toni (named after his mother) and Miriam, who are both in their 50s.

But his traumatic childhood experiences left an indelible mark.

"My life was turned upside down, because it wasn't normal: you wouldn't normally spend your youth being marked as a Jew with a yellow star and you normally have an education, of which I was deprived," he says.

"You aren't normally split from your parents in a ghetto where they are themselves split from one another.

"You're not normally on your own after that in a slave labour camp.

"When liberated, you know full well you have no parents left; you're on your own with no education and life will be very difficult."

Mr Bright has no grandchildren, but for several years he has been sharing his experiences in schools. It "keeps me going," he says.

The Holocaust is a compulsory part of the school curriculum.

"It is extremely important that it is still taught, because it is the modern history of Europe and it can help you judge what Europe and Brexit is all about," Mr Bright says.

"I'm very depressed about the current state of the world, because obviously people haven't learnt and, as some philosopher said, if people don't learn from the past, they will repeat their mistakes."

Holocaust Memorial Day is on 27 January each year - marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.
    Source: Holocaust Memorial Day: Survivor recalls 'hell on Earth' - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

tl;dr

I'm afraid I have holocaust fatigue now.

It was bad luck for the suffers and all that, but everyone has just gone on and on about it for too long.

Same goes for WW1 and WW2 generally. Time to move on methinks.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The 'Eichman Show' was on the other day, excellent film well worth a watch.

Interesting thing was how they showed the incredulity in the general populace , how could they do things like that? I don't believe you.

So we have to repeat occasionally just like we should remember Ghengis Khan dining atop the losers & the French/Russian revolution & the Stalin years. Its not like its ever going to stop let us at least make it rare.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        tl;dr

It was bad luck for the suffers and all that, but everyone has just gone on and on about it for too long.

I find your post truly appalling.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          tl;dr

Would you rather hear about the ethnic cleansing that went on in the former Yugoslavia or in Rwanda?

They are more modern genocides which happened in your lifetime from people not paying attention to and knowing history.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

To be fair to OwlHoot i think what he's saying is that we keep banging on about the Holocaust which was almost a century ago but no one seems to be doing the same to whats happened since, Balkans, Rwanda, and now Syria etc, its all tulip, we as a species haven't learnt and it will happen again.

Comment

In my search for a hideout, I found Jerome, his legs cut off. I could not leave him in this state. I tried to lift up Jerome so the we could leave together, but the car of the commune stopped near me. It was full of machetes and other instruments of death. I lay Jerome down on the ground and ran because a man got out of the burgomaster's car to kill me.

He finished Jerome off.

I saw this when I looked back to see if anyone had followed me. I will never forget the way Jerome's face was filled with desperation. Whenever I think about it, I cry all day long.

Eric, 13
              link

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Would you rather hear about the ethnic cleansing that went on in the former Yugoslavia or in Rwanda?

They are more modern genocides which happened in your lifetime from people not paying attention to and knowing history.
                I met a chap from Rwanda a few years back. No living family (except the wife and kids he gained after the conflict). All murdered. His wife has no family either.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Or you may prefer this on Sebrenica.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    To be fair to OwlHoot i think what he's saying is that we keep banging on about the Holocaust which was almost a century ago but no one seems to be doing the same to whats happened since, Balkans, Rwanda, and now Syria etc, its all tulip, we as a species haven't learnt and it will happen again.

Holocaust Memorial Day is a national commemoration day in the United Kingdom dedicated to the remembrance of those who suffered in The Holocaust, under Nazi Persecution, and in subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur

So it's not just banging on about the holocaust but reminding us of more recent events too - educating people in what can cause the collective insanity that allows these events.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X