• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Used car warranty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used car warranty

I am planning to buy a used car from dealer, Is it worth going for dealership warranty by paying extra £..? what are the pros and cons.. Thanks

You need to check your consumer rights and the contract from the seller. Things have change with the Consumer Rights Act in 2015 so you have a degree of protection but only in certain cases and it could be a fight. There is some protection there already so you need to go google it.

Do you get the extended warranty? Bearing in mind you have given us absolutely no information then I guess it's up to you and your peace of mind. Might be worth getting an AA check instead to you know you aren't getting a bad un.

Are you buying from a reputable dealer or one of these one man bands? High value? Older high mileage? and so on.. .with so little information then I'd say it's up to you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ah, there is the information.. if you stuck to it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2190926
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
        I am planning to buy a used car from dealer, Is it worth going for dealership warranty by paying extra £..? what are the pros and cons.. Thanks
        I'd say it very much depends how much you're spending and what type of dealer. Are you buying, say, a Merc from a Merc dealership or a Merc from Motorpoint? Some dealers simply want to sell you a finance product and give you the car to keep nice as collateral. It also depends how you're buying the car (HP v PCP) - there may be hidden costs in the PCP agreement (e.g. it must be serviced at a main dealer).
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I once bought a warranty direct product for two years. Did I need it? Nope. I guess the rates they charge depends on the likelihood of a claim so an Alfa (perhaps) would be unaffordable to cover. But a Honda or Toyota a lot less?

Best bet, IMO is to buy a Hyundai or Kia 5 or 7 year warranty when new, so still plenty of cover left at two years old.

Of course, if the plan is to buy an expensive badge then what I just said counts for nothing.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I once bought a warranty direct product for two years. Did I need it? Nope. I guess the rates they charge depends on the likelihood of a claim so an Alfa (perhaps) would be unaffordable to cover. But a Honda or Toyota a lot less?

Best bet, IMO is to buy a Hyundai or Kia 5 or 7 year warranty when new, so still plenty of cover left at two years old.

Of course, if the plan is to buy an expensive badge then what I just said counts for nothing.
            Best bet to buy a Kia? Worst car I've ever driven and I've (and I'm really confessing here) owned a Rover 100.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Best bet to buy a Kia? Worst car I've ever driven and I've (and I'm really confessing here) owned a Rover 100.
              Rover 100, you are going on my ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Rover 100, you are going on my ignore list.
                I was a skint perm. It was that or a Fiat Punto and I had a friend who was a Rover mechanic.

Comment

Dealer warranty is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I would suggest you buy a brand new Merc from a main Merc dealer. Sorted.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Dealer warranty is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I would suggest you buy a brand new Merc from a main Merc dealer. Sorted.
                    +1, The ones I have seen only covered for parts you have to cover the labour, (clutch and a flywheel on a focus the labours more than the parts) either just pay your money and take your chances or buy from a main agent who have a reputation to look after

Comment

Working...
                    X