• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Week off.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week off.

Got contract number three today. Yaay! Am I a real contractor yet?

Of course this happened just as my current client offered me an extra month, which of course I'll turn down. But I have a week off inbetween contracts, which I really feel like I need after 7 months of doing every working day. But of course now I'm wondering if I should tell the current client I'll do an extra week (which I think they'll go for). On the one hand, I really want a week off; on the other hand, I'm throwing away a 4 figure sum so I can doss around at home watching daytime TV. I hate decisions.

Maybe if I was a real contractor I wouldn't need to think about it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

No contest

Have the week off with the comfort of knowing you have another gig lined up and enjoy the week.

I had last week off mid-gig, its the best way to stay sane. I feel great now.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      Got contract number three today. Yaay! Am I a real contractor yet?

Of course this happened just as my current client offered me an extra month, which of course I'll turn down. But I have a week off inbetween contracts, which I really feel like I need after 7 months of doing every working day. But of course now I'm wondering if I should tell the current client I'll do an extra week (which I think they'll go for). On the one hand, I really want a week off; on the other hand, I'm throwing away a 4 figure sum so I can doss around at home watching daytime TV. I hate decisions.

Maybe if I was a real contractor I wouldn't need to think about it.
      True. But on the other hand I would consider two factors:

1) there is only one life despite what Chico says

2) if you are married you will only enjoy no more than 50% of your earnings if you keep working all the time
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Take the week off. Definately between gigs you should, otherwise you'll feel washed out in a few months' time and you won't be at your best.

Another good tip is to take a week off between extensions, whereby they add a week to the finish day. Then it doesn't feel like you're 'losing' money
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
          Take the week off. Definately between gigs you should, otherwise you'll feel washed out in a few months' time and you won't be at your best.

completely agree

Comment

Yes I'd pretty much talked myself into taking the week off. Extra money is tempting, but you have to be realistic and actually by the time the 6 months on the new contract is up, I will have worked roughly 49 weeks out of 52 which I think is enough for me not to feel guilty.

Thanks for the advice.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              Yes I'd pretty much talked myself into taking the week off. Extra money is tempting, but you have to be realistic and actually by the time the 6 months on the new contract is up, I will have worked roughly 49 weeks out of 52 which I think is enough for me not to feel guilty.

Thanks for the advice.
              Yes good advice from all, I have been working without a break since August last year, now a very busy time on the project I'm on so I'll be there a few months longer as well, and I can tell you the extra money isn't worth being burned out and cynical for. You just spend it on big nights out anyway trying to relax.

Comment

"Got contract number three today. Yaay! Am I a real contractor yet?"

Done 9 pieces of work this year for different clients. Does this make me unemployable?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                X