• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Tax Digital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Tax Digital

Four tax returns a year to be submitted electronically. What a boost to FreeAgent and the like, that is going to be. And it will end the January 31st deadline panic at accountancy offices too.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

When does it start?

Comment

MTD

Starts for some in 2018 but most affected will be 2019....Link

Comment

I do effectively 12 electronic tax returns a year with PAYE. I never understand why they ask me to enter the same information they already have on the SA.

That doesn't include dividends of course, but if it's all coming from the same company why not roll that into the PAYE reporting? Wouldn't be hard, and then for most of us we wouldn't need to do an additional tax return at all.

Or is that too sensible?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I do effectively 12 electronic tax returns a year with PAYE. I never understand why they ask me to enter the same information they already have on the SA.

That doesn't include dividends of course, but if it's all coming from the same company why not roll that into the PAYE reporting? Wouldn't be hard, and then for most of us we wouldn't need to do an additional tax return at all.

Or is that too sensible?
          Yes.

Also not everyone has one source for their income stream. So if you are a higher rate tax payer say for the NHS but also do private work then you have two income streams.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Or is that too sensible?
            That's where it's all drifting, just given the huge numbers of people/entities involved and the complexity of the tax system, it's going to take years/decades rather than months.

It's basically what Gideon was talking about with the planned changes to personal tax returns over the coming years. Theory is you'll login to a portal, it'll already have your salary(/ies) as it knows them from RTI submissions, potentially interest received as banks will have made that data available, dividends too if they get to a situation where dividends are reported when they're paid, any personal pension contributions/gift aid donations may also be linked in, etc etc. You'll end up just skimming down it already pre completed then clicking submit, or flagging any potential errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Four tax returns a year to be submitted electronically. What a boost to FreeAgent and the like, that is going to be. And it will end the January 31st deadline panic at accountancy offices too.
              As it's four returns of income and expense, followed by a post year end adjustment by 31 January, I suspect the 31 January rush will still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                As it's four returns of income and expense, followed by a post year end adjustment by 31 January, I suspect the 31 January rush will still be there.
                4 small rushes?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                  As the move to cloud systems like FA accelerates, driven more and more by changes such as this and initiated both by accountants and clients then the data is already there (or should be) so the mad scramble to collect, collate, query and clarify all those data points should in time largely disappear? The client takes a lot of the responsibility because rather than sending monthly spreadsheet reports to the accountant who then looks after the data, the data is entered directly into the cloud software. Naturally as with all IT systems, the GIGO principle still prevails.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I think it should largely eliminate the 31 Jan rush for the simpler end of the market (and hence most "small" accountants). There shouldn't be much in the way of fancy year end adjustments, so the annual thing should largely be the sum of the 4 quarterly submissions. If the data's already been collected to deal with those, the annual one should be a breeze (famous last words).

Inevitably the more complex ones will be...more complex, but that shouldn't impact many of us on this forum, accountants or business owners.

Comment

Working...
                    X