• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WIFE gone, will she screw me for half the house????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIFE gone, will she screw me for half the house????

Anyone here got any experience of this? I bought a house about 1 year ago, how can I stop her taking half the eequity - she never put a penny towards it.

Seems SOOO unfair. No kids so I'm hoping that might make things simpler.

She'll probably get half your future income as well.

Comment

Oh dear, LB, don't make him more upset !

I'm not sure about these things, but I think it has something to do with how long you were married and if she has similar earning capacity to you.

Comment

Erm, excuse me if Im wrong, but I thought 'Luke Guystalker' was gay...? Or at least pretended to be....
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

You're right, Lucy, that sort of thing has only happened (so far) where millions were at stake. I recall a recent case though where it was judged in a short marriage that a wife with much lower income had an expectation of a better future life and should be compensated accordingly.

As you will have surmised, Luke, you need to engage a solicitor fairly sharpish. Has your wife served papers on you already or has she just signalled intent? If the latter, sneaky people observe that the most lenient EU legislation for divorce cases is Germany's, arrange a week long reconciliation attempt holiday in Germany, and serve papers through the courts there on arrival. Takes some planning but it has been done.

Good luck and keep a cool head.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
            Erm, excuse me if Im wrong, but I thought 'Luke Guystalker' was gay...? Or at least pretended to be....
            Is that why she is leaving?

Comment

Well I seem to remember him from the old boards... and apparently 'she f*cked off' back in february sometime...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showp...9&postcount=15

Might be wrong of course...
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Luke GuyStalker
                Anyone here got any experience of this? I bought a house about 1 year ago, how can I stop her taking half the eequity - she never put a penny towards it.

Seems SOOO unfair. No kids so I'm hoping that might make things simpler.

Should have got a pre-nu, should have got a pre-nup!!! Why are you men so stupid - women are evil and they will take you for every penny. You dont have to be a footballer, or a high flying business man. You just have to have a house, or a bit of savings.

I know none of this is a consolation to you now Luke, but it has to be used as a lesson to everyone else.

GET THE PRE-NUP!! If you end up living happily ever after then you'll never have to use it!
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

I thought pre-nups had no legal weight in the UK? I might be wrong though, I know little about this area of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    I thought pre-nups had no legal weight in the UK? I might be wrong though, I know little about this area of the law.

I dont know for certain, but I'm fairly sure you can have a legal document saying what is yours and what is "ours". You can certainly specify it for buying a house together....although with the new laws in place recently that might have changed aswell.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X