• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel Scrappage Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Scrappage Scheme

The government is thinking of introducing a diesel scrappage scheme due to air pollution concerns - linky

An industry source confirmed Mr Grayling spoke of his support for a scrappage scheme at a private meeting two weeks ago where the MP also committed to an expansion of electric cars and charging points for the technology.

The oldest and most polluting diesel vehicles in areas where emissions levels are particularly high are likely to be the target, the Telegraph understands.

It follows a dramatic warning earlier this month after a number of London boroughs recorded toxic air quality levels forcing the city's Mayor to call on people to stay indoors and put off exercise until the levels improved.
    For more read the full article.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The government is thinking of introducing a diesel scrappage scheme due to air pollution concerns - linky

For more read the full article.
    Stupid idea. Most “pollution” comes from trucks and buses and commercial oil heating; not cars.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

How times change

Diesel car drivers 'betrayed' as EU cracks down on Britain over air pollution - Telegraph

More than 10 million motorists who were “betrayed and misled” into buying diesel cars have been warned that they face higher costs as the European Union puts pressure on Britain to cut air pollution levels.
      It comes as Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, announced plans to charge diesel drivers an extra £10 to drive in the capital – a measure that could be copied by as many as 18 other cities.
      For more than a decade, motorists buying diesel cars have enjoyed tax breaks because the cars produce lower levels of carbon dioxide and are more fuel efficient.
      Now, Britain is being sued by the European Commission for breaching air pollution limits, because emissions from diesel vehicles are contributing to tens of thousands of premature deaths each year.
      One of the things the EU did well.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Stupid idea. Most “pollution” comes from trucks and buses and commercial oil heating; not cars.
        +1

I heard that in a news item at the end of last year.

I guess that means the beginning of the end for my solid, trusty 15yo Astra diesel.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I do agree.

Every day however I will see a few cars who are shot to hell. Today there was this 07 plate Astra diesel and it had lost the rear back box. The whole rear end was coated with burnt oil and it was spewing massive amounts out the back. Why on gods earth these vehicles slip through the net and aren't whisked off the road immediately I honestly don't know. You can add to this the Estonian or Lithuanian heaps of tulip that grace our roads with dangerous lack of maintenance impacting road safety.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            +1

I heard that in a news item at the end of last year.

I guess that means the beginning of the end for my solid, trusty 15yo Astra diesel.

Nothing says "successful contractor" like a 15yo Astra diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              I do agree.

Every day however I will see a few cars who are shot to hell. Today there was this 07 plate Astra diesel and it had lost the rear back box. The whole rear end was coated with burnt oil and it was spewing massive amounts out the back. Why on gods earth these vehicles slip through the net and aren't whisked off the road immediately I honestly don't know. You can add to this the Estonian or Lithuanian heaps of tulip that grace our roads with dangerous lack of maintenance impacting road safety.
              Because we sacked half of our traffic officers?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

DieselScrappage Scheme

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Because we sacked half of our traffic officers?
                You mean we only have one traffic officer left in England?

The pollution goes unchecked when he sits down to eat his little chef Olympic breakfast.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Nothing says "successful contractor" like a 15yo Astra diesel.
                  Nothing says "successful contractor" like a +2yr warchest and no mortgage.

You spend your money your way, I'll spend mine the way I like.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Nothing says "successful contractor" like a +2yr warchest and no mortgage.

You spend your money your way, I'll spend mine the way I like.

That is actually the right way and somehow this escapes the mind of most "successful contractors". Suddenly they are out of cash, dont have any cash lying around, might lose the house etc etc. More and more posts here about PCP and lease and what not to buy a car. How difficult is it to save up 20K, a few months of invoicing at most.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X