PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Spam

richardtaylor
7th February 2017, 11:15
I think if i Go with <spam> then it should save our environment and Save paper wastage and also <spam> Lost and Damage chances nil and more. Could you suggest me more Major benefits of <spam>

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 11:32
I am 100% sure all of us bar one use Freeagent, which appears to do this for you so no need.

I say appears, a few of the sites I've just looked at have so little information I wouldn't touch them. Looks like you are just being charged (I am guessing) to do something any decent accountant/bookkeeping portal offers.

And saving the environment/paper wastage is a long way off the top of my list when running my company properly. I have absolutely no idea what lost/damage even means.

I can't see a single reason I can give you for going down this route for your average contractor.

Patrick@Intouch
7th February 2017, 11:58
There is no need to pay a fee to be provided with electronic payslips.

If you have an accountant, they should be able to do this for you and if you don't then most software options should provide this functionality for you.

WTFH
7th February 2017, 13:54
The biggest drawback of the company is they are crap at marketing and register users with email addresses linked to their company.

Spam hammer in 5..4..3..2..1..

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 13:55
Was it the .co.uk people or the my .com lot?

The website looks incredibly similar to a lot of the scheme ones that have been discussed recently. The layout, logo, number at top right, lack of company details, the contact form.. Is this the way one of the WordPress or similar products produce them?

WTFH
7th February 2017, 13:58
After a bottle of wine, it takes longer to ban spammers.

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 14:04

It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon (wo)man!!!

WTFH
7th February 2017, 14:22
It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon (wo)man!!!

It's 11.20pm, I had lunch today, but no solids since.

RonBW
7th February 2017, 16:57
I think it's safe to say a majority of us use Freeagent

I think it's incredibly unsafe to say that the majority of us use Freeagent. Just because you plug it at every opportunity doesn't mean that more than 10352 CUK users drink the same Koolaid as you do.

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 17:18
I think it's incredibly unsafe to say that the majority of us use Freeagent. Just because you plug it at every opportunity doesn't mean that more than 10352 CUK users drink the same Koolaid as you do.

I think something, you think something. We appear to have come to an impasse no?

I may have over egged it slightly but it is based on the fact every time someone is looking for a new or different accountant plenty of people jump on recommending FreeAgent. Hell, someone even started a thread saying how good it was and it wasn't me. I don't plug it, I recommend it as a user to whoever is asking or where it is pertinent, as again do many others.

To date, from memory the posters come on asking for help because their accountants have messed up weren't on FA. I haven't seen one yet that was.

Feel free to post a little more and add your input to balance things out if you wish.

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 17:18

You fallen asleep? You haven't done the needful yet.

RonBW
7th February 2017, 17:31
I think something, you think something. We appear to have come to an impasse no?

I may have over egged it slightly but it is based on the fact every time someone is looking for a new or different accountant plenty of people jump on recommending FreeAgent. Hell, someone even started a thread saying how good it was and it wasn't me. I don't plug it, I recommend it as a user to whoever is asking or where it is pertinent, as again do many others.

Well, it seems a massive jump to me to suggest that because a few people post that they use FA that it means that the majority of "us" (whatever "us" means) use that one piece of software. Personally, I have only met one contractor who uses it.

I'm not suggesting that it's not a good product - I don't know, because I don't use it. I am perfectly happy with the InTouch service and portal, but if I wasn't then I might look at using FreeAgent. However, to suggest that the majority of "us" use it (unless you can back that up with anything meaningful) seems more than a slight over-egging.

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 18:04
Well, it seems a massive jump to me to suggest that because a few people post that they use FA that it means that the majority of "us" (whatever "us" means) use that one piece of software. Personally, I have only met one contractor who uses it.

I'm not suggesting that it's not a good product - I don't know, because I don't use it. I am perfectly happy with the InTouch service and portal, but if I wasn't then I might look at using FreeAgent. However, to suggest that the majority of "us" use it (unless you can back that up with anything meaningful) seems more than a slight over-egging.

<Yawn>. So where were we?

RonBW
7th February 2017, 18:13
<Yawn>. So where were we?

Just pointing out your hyperbole yet again :happy

You clearly think that the majority of contractors use FreeAgent, hence your post. Given that their own marketing talks about 50000 customers, accepting your statement as true means that 20% of their customer base comes from CUK, which is pretty amazing.

Or it could be that your statement "I think it's safe to say a majority of us use Freeagent" is more likely than not to be completely false. Even with your amusing edit :happy

northernladuk
7th February 2017, 18:15
Even with your amusing edit :happy

Good spot!! :D

Fred Bloggs
8th February 2017, 02:52

My bold and underline - You use an accountant's portal, and it does not produce payslips, not even as a pdf you can download? Sounds like one pretty useless portal to me. I'd suggest a very good cloud software package to you, but it seems you don't want to hear about it.

RonBW
8th February 2017, 08:41
My bold and underline - You use an accountant's portal, and it does not produce payslips, not even as a pdf you can download? Sounds like one pretty useless portal to me. I'd suggest a very good cloud software package to you, but it seems you don't want to hear about it.

I have an accountant I trust who has saved me significant amounts of money over the time that I have used then. I have a system that I'm perfect happy with and does everything that I want it to do - which makes it a pretty useful portal to me.

I could change accountants to get something different; I could pay more and add something else to what I do. However why would I want to do that?

Either way, your post does nothing to convince me that NLUK is right when he asserts that the majority use FreeAgent, but I'll consider your opinion if I ever need to change accountant :happy

MrMarkyMark
8th February 2017, 08:44
It's 11.20pm, I had lunch today, but no solids since.

I hope you are on good rates, drying out in The Priory does not come cheap these days :eyes

pr1
8th February 2017, 08:57
Either way, your post does nothing to convince me that NLUK is right when he asserts that the majority use FreeAgent, but I'll consider your opinion if I ever need to change accountant :happy

He is not right, NLUK sometimes makes sweeping generalisations assuming "the vast majority" are the same as him" i.e. a BOS contractor who uses a freeagent accountant

however

That doesn't mean to say that freeagent does not offer a good solution for what you're looking for, and given you can trial it free for a month - you should just give it a go and see

Louisa@AardvarkAccounting
8th February 2017, 09:05
He is not right, NLUK sometimes makes sweeping generalisations assuming "the vast majority" are the same as him" i.e. a BOS contractor who uses a freeagent accountant

Really? I must have missed these sweeping generalisations over the years... :eyes

FreeAgent is a great tool but you need to still have a good accountant that you can trust too to help you along the way.

One of the benefits of FreeAgent is with it having so many users, they'l need to keep ahead of the curve, especially with MTD coming around the corner. So it will be interesting to see their future developments.

Fred Bloggs
8th February 2017, 09:29
I have an accountant I trust who has saved me significant amounts of money over the time that I have used then. I have a system that I'm perfect happy with and does everything that I want it to do - which makes it a pretty useful portal to me.

I could change accountants to get something different; I could pay more and add something else to what I do. However why would I want to do that?

Thank you, for the avoidance of doubt, I couldn't care less whether NLUK is right or not. Never crossed my mind. Fact is though, the cloud software that cannot be named, is rapidly gaining a pretty dominant position in the contracting world. And with initiatives like MTD that is set to continue or accelerate. You get payslips with it too, no extra charge. As regards costs, you may be surprised what is out there. If you were to look up recent posts by myself you will see that you can get the nameless cloud software and accountancy for less than GBP 50 a month (+ VAT obviously).

Maslins
8th February 2017, 09:43

Twas only a year or two ago NLUK was telling anyone who'd listen FreeAgent was a complete waste of space and the SJD spreadsheet was perfect. ;)

Interesting question whether 20% of CUK members were FreeAgent users, to be honest I could believe that, FreeAgent is most definitely tailored to the contractor market.

RonBW
8th February 2017, 09:54
Thank you, for the avoidance of doubt, I couldn't care less whether NLUK is right or not. Never crossed my mind. Fact is though, the cloud software that cannot be named, is rapidly gaining a pretty dominant position in the contracting world. And with initiatives like MTD that is set to continue or accelerate. You get payslips with it too, no extra charge. As regards costs, you may be surprised what is out there. If you were to look up recent posts by myself you will see that you can get the nameless cloud software and accountancy for less than GBP 50 a month (+ VAT obviously).

In the past year, the advice I received from my accountant saved me about £24000. I would need to be with someone else for 40 years to match that saving.

I am not saying that FreeAgent is good, bad or indifferent - I only questioned the assertion that the majority of contractors use them.

northernladuk
8th February 2017, 11:52
Blimey, talk about a dog with a bone. How many times do you want to make your (valid) point? :laugh

I've said some stuff that's caused outrage and heated debate before but I didn't think this would be one of them lol.

northernladuk
8th February 2017, 11:55
Twas only a year or two ago NLUK was telling anyone who'd listen FreeAgent was a complete waste of space and the SJD spreadsheet was perfect. ;)

Interesting question whether 20% of CUK members were FreeAgent users, to be honest I could believe that, FreeAgent is most definitely tailored to the contractor market.

Oi you stirring bugger!! That's not true!!!!.... It was just over 2 years ago :igmc:

And I didn't say the other stuff either :laugh :spank:

northernladuk
8th February 2017, 11:58
I notice our resident alcoholic mod has finally sobered up enough to ban the OP. Took him long enough... But no entry in the Who's be banned thread. Pretty poor show all round I am afraid.

MrMarkyMark
8th February 2017, 12:00
I notice our resident alcoholic mod has finally sobered up enough to ban the OP. Took him long enough... But no entry in the Who's be banned thread. Pretty poor show all round I am afraid.

Seems like he's completely burnt out.

I would report him to NAT, but I then realised NAT is in a similar stage to him too.

Is Cojak our only sober mod :eek:

covbob
8th February 2017, 12:36
Seems like he's completely burnt out.

I would report him to NAT, but I then realised NAT is in a similar stage to him too.

Is Cojak our only sober mod :eek:

Realityhack?

Is this a case for bringing back MF as a mod?

MrMarkyMark
8th February 2017, 12:45
Realityhack?

Is this a case for bringing back MF as a mod?

Surely just adding to the list of CUK Mods that have an alcohol problem :confused:

WTFH
8th February 2017, 13:48

I may be drunk, but you are ugly. Tomorrow I will be sober.

MrMarkyMark
8th February 2017, 13:50

So, you're not really knocking him back, he still has a chance :laugh

northernladuk
8th February 2017, 14:09

:rollin:

Very good. Ban documented. All is good in the world again.

Bet you won't though... ;)

OwlHoot
8th February 2017, 14:19
I am 100% sure all of us bar one use Freeagent, ...

er, what is Freeagent? :rolleyes:

Louisa@AardvarkAccounting
8th February 2017, 14:55
er, what is Freeagent? :rolleyes:

:tumble:

WTFH
8th February 2017, 15:00
:rollin:

Very good. Ban documented. All is good in the world again.

Bet you won't though... ;)

Bet you one yen I will. At least for some of the day.

RonBW
8th February 2017, 15:54
Tomorrow I will be sober.

:laugh