• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lightning Fast Development Machine for home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning Fast Development Machine for home

I currently have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which is a great laptop having 512GB SSD. It is, however, a bit slow for the kind of development I want to be doing.

Work machine is mental speed with 16GB RAM, i7 and Lots of SSD. I went and bought a tower without SSD for £700 from John Lewis (thought a normal HD would be ok) but found it as slow as hell so returned it. Now I realised I need a super fast machine to help me develop quickly. I need it to run Visual Studio and just generally be quick starting up and bringing up applications.

Anybody got any recommendations? My thoughts are I need the following spec:

- 16GB RAM
    - i7
    - 256 GB SSD

cheapest John Lewis machine with that spec comes in at like £1500 which I thought is way too much for a dev machine but could be wrong......

Is there any reason it has to be from John Lewis?

Generally gaming machines e.g. high spec ones sold to gamers tend to be fast.

Look online.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Take a look at Overclockers UK, you can build your own with them.

I've bought 2 PCs from there, excellent value for money.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That sounds a lot of money for what is not a particularly crazy system? 16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD isn't a big deal... unless you've picked the top i7 available which probably isn't needed.

I'd rather suspect people will recommend more RAM and slightly less blistering CPU, that's what I'd be tempted for anyway. But yes, SSD is transformational.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Take a look at Overclockers UK, you can build your own with them.

I've bought 2 PCs from there, excellent value for money.
          Like the idea but their website is awful....

Too many choices makes head spin....
          Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 7 February 2017, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Is there any reason it has to be from John Lewis?

Generally gaming machines e.g. high spec ones sold to gamers tend to be fast.

Look online.
            Doesn't have to be from John Lewis but was great buying it and then returning it in-store to get an instant refund without any headache. That and having a 2 year warranty as standard. Great service to be honest.

Comment

Quick play on OCUK and i7 Quad Core, 32GB ram and 500GB SSD comes in just over a grand

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-...DDT1191LIM1~zz
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                That sounds a lot of money for what is not a particularly crazy system? 16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD isn't a big deal... unless you've picked the top i7 available which probably isn't needed.

I'd rather suspect people will recommend more RAM and slightly less blistering CPU, that's what I'd be tempted for anyway. But yes, SSD is transformational.
                +1 my current machine has just a slighter smaller SSD and 32 GB of RAM, its a 3 year + old lap top
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Quick play on OCUK and i7 Quad Core, 32GB ram and 500GB SSD comes in just over a grand

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-...DDT1191LIM1~zz
                  No Optical Drive needed and 16GB is plenty.... More about the SSD.

Windows Pro or standard?

Bit put off by it's name and that it's for music professionals... I want a development machine Damn it!
                  Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 7 February 2017, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    No Optical Drive needed and 16GB is plenty.... More about the SSD.

Windows Pro or standard?

Bit put off by it's name and that it's for music professionals... I want a development machine Damn it!
                    How do you know that's "enough" RAM?

There's some memory based DB platforms that would require 32GB as a minimum for a VM type set up.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X