• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oi pay your round before you feck off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...b-eu-tells-may

That’s how the EU Commission chose to explain why Prime Minister Theresa May must settle the U.K.’s budget commitments in full, estimated at 60 billion euros ($64 billion), when it leaves the bloc’s remaining 27 countries in an estimated two years’ time.

“It is like going to the pub with 27 friends: You order a round of beer, but then you cannot leave while the party continues; you still need to pay for the round you ordered,” Commission spokesman Margaritis Schinas told reporters in Brussels on Tuesday.
    hilarious they want us to take them seriously!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Hard ******* Brexit. No deal, we walk.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

They don't seem to understand how a round works? Once the round is paid for and it will be as I'm always first to pay, I can politely walk away with most people owing me a drink I will never ask for - but they know they owe me a favour and I might call said favour it in.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Seems to me the analogy is more like going out for drinks but being the designated driver, sticking a bunch of notes into the beer kitty, deciding to leave early because the night is tulipe, and needing to give a lift back to a bunch of xxxx who are mates with one of the blokes who hasn't bothered to talk to you all night. One of them, throws up in the back; so you drop him off at A&E for a warm bed and some cuddly nurses to chat up.
        Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 16 February 2017, 11:25.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

erm as we were one of the first in the pub I think we have already bought at least 2 rounds...

Not sure some of the more recent joiners have bought any?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            They don't seem to understand how a round works? Once the round is paid for and it will be as I'm always first to pay, I can politely walk away with most people owing me a drink I will never ask for - but they know they owe me a favour and I might call said favour it in.
            I think you missed the point.

He is saying that the round was ordered, everybody is supping - but the buyer has not yet paid. Then the buyer decides to leave. The buyer should still pay for the round before leaving, or the others have to pick it up.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post

Hope that helps.
              Not really. Being in a round in the pub isn't that similar to being in a political union with 27 other countries.

Nobody goes to the pub with 27 other people and buys "rounds". If you had that many people in your drinking crew you would most likely self-organise into smaller groups of 3 - 5 people in each. Otherwise you cannot keep track of who owes what and everyone ends up getting annoyed with the drunk in the corner who never seems to put his hand in his pocket.

You may nominate someone to hold "The whip" - which is where you all chuck in £20 at the start and use that for booze. When the whip runs out you have a "Whip round", wherein you all top-up said whip. Of course that is entirely optional. Nobody is forced to contribute .... just you don't get any more drinks.

The UK has been in the EU pub since 1973. So we've bought a fair few rounds already. In fact the majority of the countries in the EU have managed to get completely mullered without making a contribution to the rounds.

If the EU needs more money to continue on the lash then they should look to Mrs Merkel. She has pots of money that's she's carefully amassed by staying sober whilst the others have binged on free alcohol ( ironically provided by her own brewery ). Some may say that she has dispropartionality benefited from the binge-drinking session in the Red EU.

However Mrs M is a bit po-faced. She doesn't like it when others don't pay back their round and she doesn't want to let them run up a tab until payday.

Hope this helps.

PS Leaving the EU isn't a divorce either.

Comment

Someone ordered a Kebab and now Turkey are hanging around looking for 27 tips for delivering it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Not really. Being in a round in the pub isn't that similar to being in a political union with 27 other countries.

Nobody goes to the pub with 27 other people and buys "rounds". If you had that many people in your drinking crew you would most likely self-organise into smaller groups of 3 - 5 people in each. Otherwise you cannot keep track of who owes what and everyone ends up getting annoyed with the drunk in the corner who never seems to put his hand in his pocket.

You may nominate someone to hold "The whip" - which is where you all chuck in £20 at the start and use that for booze. When the whip runs out you have a "Whip round", wherein you all top-up said whip. Of course that is entirely optional. Nobody is forced to contribute .... just you don't get any more drinks.

The UK has been in the EU pub since 1973. So we've bought a fair few rounds already. In fact the majority of the countries in the EU have managed to get completely mullered without making a contribution to the rounds.

If the EU needs more money to continue on the lash then they should look to Mrs Merkel. She has pots of money that's she's carefully amassed by staying sober whilst the others have binged on free alcohol ( ironically provided by her own brewery ). Some may say that she has dispropartionality benefited from the binge-drinking session in the Red EU.

However Mrs M is a bit po-faced. She doesn't like it when others don't pay back their round and she doesn't want to let them run up a tab until payday.

Hope this helps.

PS Leaving the EU isn't a divorce either.
                  Here we are , another borderline autistic.

You do realise that it was a limited example meant to illustrate that you cannot order work to be done and leave without paying.

You have tried taking a simple point - tried to string a story to it that doesn't fit, and in the meantime shown yourself up to be a pedantic "jobs worth".

Typical low level IT worker. Needs to be led.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Even if we have to pay that, at least we won't be lumbered with a giant future bill for ouzo!

2017-02-07 EU faces new Greek debt crisis: IMF warns that the country's finances are on 'EXPLOSIVE path' that threatens the future of the Eurozone
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X