• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was 2006 the best CUK year ever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was 2006 the best CUK year ever?

Looking at all the zombie threads springing to life, I'd say so...

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Looking at all the zombie threads springing to life, I'd say so...
    Whisper it, but I think it's just Zeity trying to relive his golden days. CUK doesn't go back to 1973 though, 2006 is as far back as he can go...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Whisper it, but I think it's just Zeity trying to relive his golden days.
      Fond childhood memories with the family....?

Comment

I frequent several boards and they all seem to be a shadow of their former selves. Even allowing for the common denominator, boards generally seem in decline but I don't really understand what has replaced them, nothing else seems to fill the gap to me.

I've asked my Accountant and she says that everything grows or dies, there is no steady state. I've seen some boards reach maturity only to be killed off by the very people who made it grow in the first place. The top posters gradually become disillusioned with the same old questions but don't want to let go of their perceived status, cliques form and posters are directed to 30 page streams of rambling discussions with a terse "it's been discussed before". Sometimes breakaway boards are started but mostly fail, partly because some oldtimers follow and try to disrupt the new one.

I think part of the trouble is that threads grow organically and contain good information but in the end would benefit from being changed into a concise Wiki entry and the original thread deleted.

Comment

It's very simple. Western IQ is declining.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/sid...94.html?ref=gs

Basically thickos are breeding more than clever people.

Explains the decline of CUK, Brexit and Trump.

Asia will be dominant in our grandchildren's time.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            I frequent several boards and they all seem to be a shadow of their former selves. Even allowing for the common denominator, boards generally seem in decline but I don't really understand what has replaced them, nothing else seems to fill the gap to me.

I've asked my Accountant and she says that everything grows or dies, there is no steady state. I've seen some boards reach maturity only to be killed off by the very people who made it grow in the first place. The top posters gradually become disillusioned with the same old questions but don't want to let go of their perceived status, cliques form and posters are directed to 30 page streams of rambling discussions with a terse "it's been discussed before". Sometimes breakaway boards are started but mostly fail, partly because some oldtimers follow and try to disrupt the new one.

I think part of the trouble is that threads grow organically and contain good information but in the end would benefit from being changed into a concise Wiki entry and the original thread deleted.
            ArseBook and Twerper.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Blimey I hadn't realised your birth had dragged it so low.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Your generous contribution is duly noted.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Er, why aren't thickos breeding more than clever people in Asia too?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've seen it with other boards. The 'old timers' form a clique and newcomers are put off. A lot of the questions which are answered with "Have you asked your accountant?" or "Read the guides on the right" are newcomers trying to break the ice. They get a terse reply and never come back.

Of course, some of these are snowflakes who wont listen to the advice and reject the answer given to them, but once it becomes a clique of regular posters with in jokes, the boards become unwelcoming.

Most people have a different persona for the internet, they become a lot more bolshy. I imagine some of the more arseholey people on here are actually decent people to talk to in real life and probably more approachable with some of the more common questions.

Net result - web boards go into decline. People go back to abusing others on Facebook or Twitter.
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X