• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCCLXXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCCLXXII

The snow (such as it was) may have moved on, but that's no reason to go outside when you can stay in and read this lot instead:
    • A top Putin critic on how to oppose Trump: “making him look like a loser is crucial” - Chess champion Gary Kasparov, who was arrested twice in Russia for his opposition to Putin, on the problem that is the leader of the free world: ”You have an entirely unqualified president with autocratic instincts and dangerous advisers, who is quite possibly compromised by a malign foreign interest. We gave Putin a chance in Russia, and it was the last free election we ever had.”

• My Grandmother’s Little Room and the Unreality of Memory - Elisa Gabbert on the way memories can deceive us, leading to such phenomena as the Berenstain Bears thing: ”A false memory seems to accrue detail over time, perhaps by borrowing from other memories. We don’t need to posit an alternate reality to get from point A to point B.”

• Inside the crash of Fling, the London startup whose founder partied in Ibiza while his company burned through $21 million - The “hold my beer and watch this” approach to running a business, described with some lovely attention to detail: ”Nardone's Italian father, Remo Nardone — a man in his eighties and Fling's biggest investor — stepped in to try and cool the situation down, one of the employees said. But his son didn't react well. He swore at his father before hurling a partially-open Pret a Manger baguette in his direction. The baguette, believed to be prosciutto ham, narrowly missed and collided with a glass window above his head.”

• A Short Anti-LSD Horror Film Made by the Lockheed Corporation (1969) - "During the late 1960s, the defense contractor Lockheed Corporation took a strange detour into filmmaking and sponsored a series of short films, each examining the perils of a particular hardcore drug." Also available: smack, speed, and downers

• A Visual Guide to Sailor Tattoos - ”Sailor’s tattoos once held significance, and occasionally they still do. In collaboration with Christina Sun at Bowsprite, we’ve put together a compendium of sailor tattoos and their respective meanings.”

• Death in the Forest - The strange world of rare mushroom hunters: ”Pickers grew territorial and, increasingly, they were armed. The sheriff in a neighboring county heard reports of pickers guarding prime patches with shotguns, while some pickers alleged that rivals shot at branches above their heads to scare them off. One recreational mushroom hunter was nearly shot when commercial pickers put a bullet through the door of his car. Paranoia spread through the region, and many pickers began carrying guns simply as a precaution.”

• ITUNES TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The Graphic Novel - "The complete, unabridged legal agreement, as drawn by R. Sikoryak." Drawing it in a myriad of comic artists’ styles is probably the only way to get anybody to actually read the damn thing

• Hundreds of Mysterious Stonehenge-Like Earthworks Found in the Amazon - Not actually in the Amazon, because that’s a river. ”The large geometric, ditched enclosures had long remained hidden by trees. But modern deforestation, in combination with Google Earth technology, have now revealed the presence of the more than 450 geoglyphs.”

• When London’s tube tunnels were painted white - "We’re used to staring out of bright tube trains into dark tunnels, but once, the tunnels were whitewashed in brilliant white paint." If nothing else, the special train that achieved this would be fun to drive through a station at rush hour

• This is Wood: The Sculpture of Matt Johnson - "On view at 303 Gallery in New York, artist Matt Johnson presents 4 cardboard boxes, 5 rolls of painters tape, 2 broken styrofoam chunks, and more garbage… that are all 100% carved and painted wood." Remarkably realistic

Happy invoicing!

Re the sailors tattoos. NLyUK has been inked a few times - co-incidentally mostly swallows too.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The snow (such as it was) may have moved on, but that's no reason to go outside when you can stay in and read this lot instead:
      • Inside the crash of Fling, the London startup whose founder partied in Ibiza while his company burned through $21 million - The “hold my beer and watch this” approach to running a business, described with some lovely attention to detail: ”Nardone's Italian father, Remo Nardone — a man in his eighties and Fling's biggest investor — stepped in to try and cool the situation down, one of the employees said. But his son didn't react well. He swore at his father before hurling a partially-open Pret a Manger baguette in his direction. The baguette, believed to be prosciutto ham, narrowly missed and collided with a glass window above his head.”

Happy invoicing!
      Only $21m - amateur effort there.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo.com
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        Re the sailors tattoos. NLyUK has been inked a few times - co-incidentally mostly swallows too.
        At least you've never witnessed MF trying to paint the Northern Line white.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          At least you've never witnessed MF trying to paint the Northern Line white.
          Neither have you; he'll have been in Euston's first class lounge shirking. He's as good at dodging work as he is at dodging salads.

That said, shove him in a paintflo tutu and let a kebab roll 3m ahead of him and he'd decorate it chasing the snack
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Re false memories, I recalled when Tony Blair visited the place I worked at. Except I can find no evidence that he ever did. Maybe I was confusing the time I sang Christmas Carols from a platform over the workshops with some very similar thing I saw on TV news.

Most of that article is about childhood rather than false memories. Childhood sticks in your mind. Recall little of what my garden used to look like when I moved here in 1982 but I can walk round the garden where I grew up in considerable detail, even down to where the drain covers were.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 13 February 2017, 16:30.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X