• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Workers have never had it so good

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workers have never had it so good

Brexit migration cuts could push state pension age up.

If it's not bad enough to be told pensioners are having a wild time living off the backs of the rest of us, we're now told we'll need to work longer to support them loafers.

Britons may have to work longer if immigration is cut in the wake of Brexit, according to a warning from the Government’s pension adviser.

John Cridland, a former CBI director reviewing the state pension age for the Government, said the “Brexit Factor” had made the future of the state pension uncertain.

The Government’s decision on pension changes, due in May, will be informed by Mr Cridland’s report to be published one month earlier.

New calculations reveal a “hard Brexit” in which migration is greatly reduced, could push up retirement ages, potentially forcing people to work well into their mid-70s.

Mr Cridland’s forthcoming report will be based on the latest Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts, which do not take Brexit into account, meaning it could quickly become outdated.

However, he told an audience at an International Longevity Centre conference that the future ratio of pensioners to working age people – a major factor affecting the cost of the state pension – was now “unpredictable” due to three factors: life expectancy, fertility and post-Brexit migration policies.

Projections calculated by actuaries at Hymans Robertson show a “hard Brexit” could result in the state pension age needing to be raised by 18 months for people currently under 40.
    source: Brexit migration cuts could push state pension age up
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

He's on my ignore list but let me guess...............pointless bremoaning from someone who doesn't even live in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      He's on my ignore list but let me guess...............pointless bremoaning from someone who doesn't even live in the UK?
      Why guess when you could just read the thread. You know you want to. I can smell your weakness.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know what you're saying, I can't read replies, you are on my ignore list.

Comment

I don't know what you're saying, I can't read replies, you are on my ignore list.

How do you know I've said anything?

By the by, classic snowflake Brexiter response - fingers in ears. La la la la £350m NHS I can't hear you la la

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            How do you know I've said anything?
            You always do.

Comment

Bremoaning ..... check
              Doom and gloom ..... check
              Liberal use of "we" from a non-resident ..... check

As you were DP
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You haven't got the hang of this Ignore List, have you?

Apart from that, you're on the money. Anyway, thistle cheer you up:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html

Comment

told pensioners are having a wild time living off the backs of the rest of us their diminished private pension courtesy of Gordo Brown in their paid for private homes.
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    You haven't got the hang of this Ignore List, have you?

Apart from that, you're on the money. Anyway, thistle cheer you up:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html
                    Is that your "by the hour" hotel room?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X