• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrible luck! SHLTNLUK(Should Have Listened To NLUK)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible luck! SHLTNLUK(Should Have Listened To NLUK)

My IPSE membership ended last November and I was dithering about renewing it since I thought there was no point and mentioned it in a thread where NLUK chastised me for not understanding the benefits. Woe unto me for not heeding his words of foretelling!

I just started a new gig in January, so last Wednesday (8 Feb) I thought fok it, I'll be a responsible grown up now and get the Plus membership with the insurances included. Then on Saturday (11 Feb) I get a jury summons in the post...

So I called IPSE this morning to see if I'll be covered and they said no, since the summons was issued on 8 Feb (the same day I signed up). They said if I'd signed up 1 day earlier or the summons had been printed one day later I would have been covered.

But at least I get to do my civic duty right guys...?

I guess the moral of the story is remember to renew your IPSE Plus membership...or don't because there's already a summons in the post with your name on it and they won't pay anyway

Just take the £1000 fine, it's only a days work......

Comment

Break a leg or something and tell the court you can't come in. Then WFH.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Just take the £1000 fine, it's only a days work......
        I thought I could get charged with contempt of court? I can't go to jail man, you know what they do to guys like me in there? It rhymes with GRAPE

Comment

Bugger - crap timing.

I remember between permie jobs, pondering that if I dropped dead over the weekend between finishing one job and starting another I had no life cover. Fortunately I was luckier than you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Break a leg or something and tell the court you can't come in. Then WFH.
            genius, brb breaking my leg

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
              I thought I could get charged with contempt of court? I can't go to jail man, you know what they do to guys like me in there? It rhymes with GRAPE
              Some of the guys are very tender lovers, insist on Imperial Leather and a reach-round.

Check the goatse.cx website for helpful hints and tips - it's been taken down but there are mirrors and Google Images show you all you need to see....

Needles to say, I had the last laugh, and NSFW or indeed on the train.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Some of the guys are very tender lovers, insist on Imperial Leather and a reach-round.

Check the goatse.cx website for helpful hints and tips - it's been taken down but there are mirrors and Google Images show you all you need to see....

Needles to say, I had the last laugh, and NSFW or indeed on the train.
                Thank you sir, but I believe that particular ruse stopped working some 10 odd years ago at least, and I am fully aware it's NSFL

Comment

Sorry to hear about the bad timing.

You could write to the clerk of court asking to be excused on the grounds that you're working at the other side of the country ( my assumption). It might work, it might not, might give you a deferment to a more suitable time.

I was lucky, I was called while working from home, only wasted three mornings not being chosen for jury duty, made up the time in the other days of the week free for the next five (?) years, by which time I'm exempt ( too old),

Comment

If you have not deferred before then politely decline. Explain you have just started work for a new client and it would cause you serious difficulties if you went on Jury service now suggest a new date (they hit it within 2 weeks AFAIR) . You get one decline before they get sniffy.

Declined once, served once.

Not sure if IPSE would cover a later jury service.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X