• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ever loving EU again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ever loving EU again

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ving-in-the-eu

The internal document drawn up by the European parliament’s legal affairs committee says it will be down to each member state to decide whether British citizens are allowed to carry on living within their respective borders after 2019
    The committee also reports that while it is hoped that the challenges can be overcome, there will be an impact on the careers of British staff working within European institutions: “The European parliament, the council and the commission alone have more than 1,500 British staff members. The UK withdrawing from the European Union will definitely have an impact on their careers for, in principle, only nationals of a member state can work for the EU institutions.”

It adds that without a negotiated solution the current staff “could be subject to compulsory resignation”.
    A Home Office spokesperson said: “This government has been clear that we want to protect the status of EU nationals already living here and the only circumstances in which that wouldn’t be possible is if British citizens’ rights in European member states were not protected in return.

“The prime minister has reiterated the need for an agreement as soon as possible as part of the negotiations to leave the EU. The rights of EU nationals living in the UK remain unchanged while we are a member of the European Union. EU nationals do not require any additional documents to prove their status.”
    So glad we are leaving.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

So the Brits will be allowed to stay where they're seen as a boost to the economy?

Retained in Switzerland and Spain and binned off from the EU gravy train. Who'd have thunked it?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The paitent office here in Munich employs loads of Brits, wonder what will happen to them.

Something that article misses, as do many others., is my right to work in the EU is required when selling services to say Austria whilst living in Germany. This happens more often than not. Having a single state giving me permission to remain is not the same as when I have to apply to work in Austria or wherever when the competition does not have to.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The paitent office here in Munich employs loads of Brits, wonder what will happen to them.

Something that article misses, as do many others., is my right to work in the EU is required when selling services to say Austria whilst living in Germany. This happens more often than not. Having a single state giving me permission to remain is not the same as when I have to apply to work in Austria or wherever when the competition does not have to.
        I think you're confusing business trips with residency. My father used to have regular business trips to Germany and USA as part of his job; he never intended residing in either and therefore didn't need permission to do so. You're struggling again today - is the blood level too high in your Irn Bru stream?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I think you're confusing business trips with residency. My father used to have regular business trips to Germany and USA as part of his job; he never intended residing in either and therefore didn't need permission to do so. You're struggling again today - is the blood level too high in your Irn Bru stream?
          eh?

I have clients around Europe not just in Germany. How is that the same as a business trip?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            So the Brits will be allowed to stay where they're seen as a boost to the economy?

Retained in Switzerland and Spain and binned off from the EU gravy train. Who'd have thunked it?
            Switzerland isn't in the EU. Spain will fall over themselves to play nice though, UK tourists are the only reason their economy hasn't fallen off the cliff.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Switzerland isn't in the EU. Spain will fall over themselves to play nice though, UK tourists are the only reason their economy hasn't fallen off the cliff.
              Correct. Makes you wonder how we can hold down jobs anywhere at that rate.
              UK tourists will be welcome wherever we go and drink the economy healthy.

All it takes is a few Facebook virals to kill off a tourist industry in a particular country.

Comment

A Home Office spokesperson said: “This government has been clear that we want to protect the status of EU nationals already living here and the only circumstances in which that wouldn’t be possible is if British citizens’ rights in European member states were not protected in return.
                That's an absolute lie. The amendment to the Brexit bill to guarantee the rights of EU nationals in the UK was voted away

Comment

Come and join #PulseOfEurope – Zeichen setzen für die Zukunft Europas

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    That's an absolute lie. The amendment to the Brexit bill to guarantee the rights of EU nationals in the UK was voted away
                    because the EU refused to return the favour as is addressed clearly in your quote.

the only circumstances in which that wouldn’t be possible is if British citizens’ rights in European member states were not protected in return.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X