• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have your cake and eat it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have your cake and eat it.

Could one of our esteemed Remnants explain what they think this means in the context of our leaving the EU.

Probably that you'd like to avoid all the perceived negative aspects of a thing, yet keep the positive ones (that may only be available due to the results of said perceived negative aspects).

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
      Probably that you'd like to avoid all the perceived negative aspects of a thing, yet keep the positive ones (that may only be available due to the results of said perceived negative aspects).
      But in terms of the EU and UK, what does that actually mean?

Things the EU see as a benefit are regarded by Breiteers as negatives, so I'm not sure exactly what we are having and eating.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Things the EU see as a benefit are regarded by Breiteers as negatives, so I'm not sure exactly what we are having and eating.
        I don't know - you asked what I thought it meant. I'm in an enviable position of being in a particularly vanilla slice of the population and have no first hand experience of seeing what the EU does and doesn't do. I'm not an economist. I'm not a diplomat. I don't deal directly with that many people or organisations in 'Europe'. I don't live somewhere that appears to be negatively affected by immigration, or european directives (not that i know about them). I really shouldn't have been allowed to decide on the future of the UK in the EU really.

Comment

basically if you go into a supermarket or bakery and buy a cake, you have a cake. If you eat the cake then normally the cake disappears.

For example

The UK eats the cake

The cake disappears
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

The EU calls the bits we want to leave as 'obligations'.

So there are benefits and then obligations.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The benefit of NATO membership is shared defence, the obligation is 2% of GDP spent on defence.

Have your cake and eating it would be to want the protection of NATO but not pay the 2%.

Oh hang on a sec...

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                basically if you go into a supermarket or bakery and buy a cake, you have a cake. If you eat the cake then normally the cake disappears.

For example

The UK eats the cake

The cake disappears
                But what is the cake we are having AND eating? Surely the EU currently has its cake from us and eats it?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  The benefit of NATO membership is shared defence, the obligation is 2% of GDP spent on defence.

Have your cake and eating it would be to want the protection of NATO but not pay the 2%.

Oh hang on a sec...

First proper example, thank you.

I need an EU example though.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Oh hang on a sec...

Wasn't UK spending actually similar to France spending, just that the UK figure includes Pension liabilities?

Comment

Working...
                    X