• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat rate return sanity check - Reclaiming VAT on purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate return sanity check - Reclaiming VAT on purchase

I do my own Flat rate VAT returns online. For a recent return juust wanted to do a sanity check on reclaiming VAT for the capital purchase (2000GBP).

In summary: enter VAT paid from the purchase invoice in Box 4 and enter total price of the purchase excluding VAT in Box 7. Rest of the info should be the same as a standard FRS return. (no EC acquisiton/purchases etc are involved). Does it look Ok?

As an example:

VAT due in this period on sales and other outputs (Box 1): GBP1450.00
    VAT due in this period on acquisitions from other EC
    Member States (Box 2): GBP0.00
    Total VAT due (the sum of boxes 1 and 2) (Box 3): GBP1450.00

VAT reclaimed in this period on purchases and other inputs,
    (including acquisitions from the EC) (Box 4): GBP333.33

Net VAT to be paid to HM Revenue & Customs or reclaimed by
    you (Difference between boxes 3 and 4) (Box 5): GBP1,116.67

Total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT.
    Include your box 8 figure (Box 6): GBP10,000.00

Total value of purchases and all other inputs excluding any
    VAT. Include your box 9 figure (Box 7): GBP1,666.00

Total value of all supplies of goods and related costs,
    excluding any VAT, to other EC Member States (Box 8): GBP0.00

Total value of all acquisitions of goods and related costs,
    excluding any VAT, from other EC Member States (Box 9): GBP0.00

Just to be clear, £10k is your total sales including VAT (your flat rate turnover) and your flat rate is 14.5%?

If so it looks right to me. Remember if you ever sell the asset you need to account for VAT on the sale using standard VAT accounting, not using your flat rate.

Edit: You're missing 67p off the box 7 total. Probably trivial but it would match with the box 4 value then.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Just to be clear, £10k is your total sales including VAT (your flat rate turnover) and your flat rate is 14.5%?
      Yes that's correct[/B]

If so it looks right to me. Remember if you ever sell the asset you need to account for VAT on the sale using standard VAT accounting, not using your flat rate.

Edit: You're missing 67p off the box 7 total. Probably trivial but it would match with the box 4 value then.
      I entered the actual values from the purchase invoice but the HMRC online return website is rounding off the Box 7 figure to the whole number. I think it's acceptable then.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X