• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That right wing Daily Mail again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That right wing Daily Mail again

According to The Daily Mail, Dwight Yorke was "denied entry into the US under Donald Trump's new border laws because he has an Iranian stamp in his passport"

Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke 'denied US entry' | Daily Mail Online

The obvious problem with that is that Trump's rules have, for the moment, been overturned by court order. The more probable reality is in an article in the DT:

Dwight Yorke denied entry into US because of Iranian stamp in his passport

However on this occasion, Yorke appears to have been caught by a regulation introduced by the Obama administration.
    It ruled that anyone who had visited Iran - along with Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Libya, Yemen or Sudan - were no longer allowed to use the visa waiver programme.
    Wouldn't it be nice if newspapers, of all political views, checked their facts a bit better before publishing?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

The only newspapers you can expect to check facts are the broadsheets e.g. Telegraph, Times, Guardian, Independent, FT. The rest of them will sprout any nonsense because of whom their target market is e.g. people with reading age of 8.

In addition readers take the broadsheets to task if they write nonsense.

I've taken The Guardian to task before and they really weren't happy. Though they did remove the image from the story, and I know from similar stories I wasn't the only one to complain.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This was discussed here previously, this is the relevant act and there is no mention of Iran: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...-bill/158/text although Iran was considered as such a country. In fact people could still get into the USA with Iranian stamps in their passport and I know of two people who have been to the USA with Iranian stamps in their passports. There is a slight difference between the Obama law, which wasn't an executive order, and that of Trump. as Sue Ellen has pointed out, a little bit of research goes a long way. Sadly the press now, regardless of political leanings, is more interested in shock and awe...

(in 1980 I believe that Jimmy Carter also banned Iranians...)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The only newspapers you can expect to check facts are the broadsheets e.g. Telegraph, Times, Guardian, Independent, FT. The rest of them will sprout any nonsense because of whom their target market is e.g. people with reading age of 8.

In addition readers take the broadsheets to task if they write nonsense.

I've taken The Guardian to task before and they really weren't happy. Though they did remove the image from the story, and I know from similar stories I wasn't the only one to complain.
        yeah

https://infacts.org/daily-mail-corre...-stats-report/

Eleven stories in the dossier remain uncorrected. Two of them – in The Telegraph and Express – relate to the same mistake The Daily Mail made in connection with the crime statistics. We are writing to the two papers, copying IPSO, pointing out that The Daily Mail has made its correction and encouraging them to make prompt corrections.
        https://infacts.org/hateful_eight/

https://www.theguardian.com/theguard...clarifications

The Times Issues Correction For 'Misleading' Headline Over The Sun's Isis Sympathy Poll | The Huffington Post

hmmm
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X