• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air Sourced Heat Pumps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Sourced Heat Pumps

anyone have any experience?

I've got a few quotes from companies and the illustrations on savings on gas and RHI rebate, but reading a few reviews there does appear a few variables, in terms of electricity usage, pumps reliability etc

wondering if anyone has had one installed?

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    anyone have any experience?

I've got a few quotes from companies and the illustrations on savings on gas and RHI rebate, but reading a few reviews there does appear a few variables, in terms of electricity usage, pumps reliability etc

wondering if anyone has had one installed?
    Do you have a gas supply?

Comment

You're still struggling with balloon payments, aren't you?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by rich_e View Post
        Do you have a gas supply?
        yes

renovating the house with underfloor heating & more bathrooms, so would need a new heating system anyway, ASHP looked appealing in terms of total cost of ownership

Comment

It makes no economic sense to install, maintain and run an air source heat pump if you are connected to mains natural gas.

If you live somewhere with only oil or electric for heating, it make some sense, although ground heat is more cost effective if you can live with having the garden dug up for pipe installation.

Comment

Dim is right, also need very good insulation.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

thanks for the feedback chaps

think I'm edging towards not doing it

Comment

Air Source Heat Pumps

As others have said, not economically viable in your scenario. One thing that people don't realise about air source heat pumps is that they are usually selected based upon an outside temperature of around 7C, and incorporate direct electric heating elements (possibly up to 12kW) that kick in at lower temperatures. In an older UK house this is likely to happen quite often during the winter resulting in high running costs. If you have a super insulated house that holds the heat (like in Scandinavian countries) it is unlikely that the supplementary heaters will ever kick in and running costs will be considerably lower.

If I were you I would be looking at a condensing gas boiler (not combi if you have more than one bathroom) set to run at 50C. It will happily condense away at maximum efficiency all day long. Separate direct gas fired water heater set at 60C for the hot water supply.

Comment

Working...
                X