• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Hi all...

Recently went on a few interviews for both contract roles and perm roles (the latter to get out of my current skillset and go down slightly different path). Last time I did this was nearly 5 years ago - had a very long gig with last client.

As I do usually, wore a suit and a tie. I've done this all my professional career - but this time around in every interview I got snarky comments re. my suit... i.e. just for the fact that I was wearing one. Has interview etiquette changed that much in 5 years that people dress differently? Business casual? Track suits? S&M garb?

It wasn't just the permies that made the comments - contractors as well. And it wasn't as if I was wearing some outlandish suit either - just an off-the-rack grey M&S suit, with a red tie.

I realise that some of my skills might be out of date after such a long stint with the last client... but surely basic interview dress hasn't change, no?

Suited, booted, white shirt, boring tie. You'd look a right idiot going the other way round and bowling up to an interview in chinos and a checked shirt when they're there with suits and ties on.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Definitely go old-school on this, overdress rather than under.
      I've occasionally gone in without a suit, but neat trousers and shirt/tie at the least.
      They wanted a next day start and I didn't want to have the suit all week.

I've often been the only one in the interview wearing a suit, surrounded by jeans and tee-shirts, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm yet.

Comment

Originally posted by matei View Post
        Hi all...

Recently went on a few interviews for both contract roles and perm roles (the latter to get out of my current skillset and go down slightly different path). Last time I did this was nearly 5 years ago - had a very long gig with last client.

As I do usually, wore a suit and a tie. I've done this all my professional career - but this time around in every interview I got snarky comments re. my suit... i.e. just for the fact that I was wearing one. Has interview etiquette changed that much in 5 years that people dress differently? Business casual? Track suits? S&M garb?

It wasn't just the permies that made the comments - contractors as well. And it wasn't as if I was wearing some outlandish suit either - just an off-the-rack grey M&S suit, with a red tie.

I realise that some of my skills might be out of date after such a long stint with the last client... but surely basic interview dress hasn't change, no?
        Yes, it has.....

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks - I'll keep on doing the suit and tie thing. I've had long hair/short hair and that hasn't ever been an issue (as long as I didn't go in looking like an '80s hair and rocker) and up until now the suit and tie had never been an issue either.

Who knows? Miserable lot I've interviewed with, maybe it is gig envy... made the usual comments about how I must have a flash car to go with the suit (wtf!?) - oddly that was from the contractors I interviewed with.

Comment

OMG... I hate clowns. Absolutely hate them (no fear them, that is a different thing altogether). If that is the case, then I'm hanging up my spurs and pursuing a different, clown-free, career.

Actually the clown thing would explain some of the characters that have interviewed me so far...

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Yes, it has.....

Comment

Suit, pressed white shirt, belt and shoes in matching leather, and a really sharp tie; silk naturally.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Depends on what you do and the clients culture. I don't think it's as essential for devs, designers and the like compared to PMs and business roles but I don't see any harm in it even then. Smart is still smart, even nowadays.

If the client is very dress down it still doesn't do any harm. Just because they dress down it doesn't mean they don't respect you turning up in a suit. If you get the gig then wearing a suit in a dress down office isn't the best idea. Gotta fit in and not alienate yourself. I did that at a client when I started contracting and they called me 'the suit'. Jokingly but I should have know better.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Depends on what you do and the clients culture. I don't think it's as essential for devs, designers and the like compared to PMs and business roles but I don't see any harm in it even then. Smart is still smart, even nowadays.

If the client is very dress down it still doesn't do any harm. Just because they dress down it doesn't mean they don't respect you turning up in a suit. If you get the gig then wearing a suit in a dress down office isn't the best idea. Gotta fit in and not alienate yourself. I did that at a client when I started contracting and they called me 'the suit'. Jokingly but I should have know better.
                  I'm with this - always always a suit for an interview. Even in officers with a laid back culture, it's not uncommon for people to suit up to interview candidates. I'm told there are some rare companies that would look down on you for this, but I say **** them - we aren't mind readers and there's a social standard. If it's a shorts and a t-shirt place, that's fine - you can wear that when you start. Any sensible interviewer (i.e., the kind you may want to work for) would never look down on somebody for dressing up.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Correct, suit for interview, but once you've got the gig, confirm the expected dress code.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X