• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of the Aust-Beachley Ferry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sailors were "legends" Tim says, "People like Tommy Lanham, Ben Brown, Percy Palmer, Bill Morgan, Roger Sharpe and Jack Bollen."
    And they needed to be with the rips and tidal ranges operating in that stretch of water.

Anyone here ever take it? I must confess, it's slightly before my time though I did once take an excursion on the paddle steamer, The Waverley, from Weston to Cardiff Bay.

The really interesting thing about this that I've just discovered is that the Aust Ferry features in an iconic piece of pop history.

Yep, none other than Mr Robert Zimmerman himself can be seen waiting at the Aust Ferry terminal on the cover of the soundtrack to No Direction Home. You can even see the not yet completed Severn Bridge in the back ground.

Who'd have thunk it?

Yup. I remember the queue down to the ferry taking at least an hour.

It was either that or the trek around Gloucester.

Comment

There is/was a nice pub on the Wales side. Right down by the water's edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        There is/was a nice pub on the Wales side. Right down by the water's edge.

Chandlers?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Chandlers?
          Old Ferry Inn

Comment

Working...
          X