• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Granite worktops are they worth it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite worktops are they worth it ?

answers on a post card please

Milan.

I would've said "answers on a granite worktop please"

Comment

Low levels of radioactivty are supposed to enhance your well being. If that fails having a really bloody swanky worktop should make you feel better

I would have bought one when we redid our kitchen, but we really couldn't justify the cost. Maybe next time when we have a bit more free cash.

Overall they are good, but you have to remember to use cutting boards. You don't want big gouges taken out of it with your nice and sharp kitchen knives....

Comment

granite worktops - hints and tips

Just had these put in and they look good. This is what I've surmised;

- go for a speckled look. Sheer black ones show up finger marks and are a bugger to keep clean. Speckled look will also cover any minor damage
        - they will break if you drop something heavy. Cast iron cookware is not a great idea
        - lemon juice and vinegar can stain worktops
        - get a number of chopping boards

Have a look at this link
        w ww.epsilis.co.uk/clients/craftsmanltd/granite-care.htm

Comment

thanks for the feedback

I thought with granite you don't need chopping boards
          as you can't scratch the granite ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by white-anglo-reactionary
            Just had these put in and they look good. This is what I've surmised;

- go for a speckled look. Sheer black ones show up finger marks and are a bugger to keep clean. Speckled look will also cover any minor damage
            I had a speckled-look worktop (not granite) once. It covered up practically anything. Had to run my hand over it to check if it needed cleaning. You could lose your dinner on it if you took your eyes off it.

Just my opinion, it's not written in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              thanks for the feedback

I thought with granite you don't need chopping boards
              as you can't scratch the granite ?

Milan.
              Au contraire, as I use knives with blades made from diamonds as big as your fist.

Threaded.

Comment

that link says don't put hot pans on the granite I thought with
                the granite you can put hot pans on it

doh

Milan.

Comment

If only everything was as indestructible as the marketing boys make out.....

Comment

oh dear

so why bother going to all the expense of the granite worktops ?

why not have wood ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X