• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unwelcome Reminders of One's Mortality

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm happy to run a marathon for the British Heart Foundation and I recognise the sterling work such charities do but is there really any need for those depressing ads on Freeview?

One minute you're enjoying a bit of escapism watching Ken Masters and Jan Howard having a good romp on the deck of some gin palace in the Solent, the next you're suddenly presented with a rather unpleasant reminder that you could die soon. Horribly.

It puts me on a real downer.

I think the worst one at the moment is the BHF one where the bridesmaid dies at her sister's wedding and her voiceover intones the words "sorry to ruin your big day sis".

I watch freeview to escape all the depressing bilge on BBC; Eastenders etc. but it seems the tentacles of the miserabilists reach everywhere these days.

Suppose public health warnings help but rather agree. Hate ads about cancer.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

This one came up in Google search results when I was quite concerned about a funny feeling in my chest one Sunday afternoon. As soon as I'd watched it I dialled 999, and it turned out I was actually having a heart attack, and within an hour I was having an angioplasty. So don't knock 'em

Comment

record what you want to watch and skip the greedy b'tards ads.

Comment

Have to agree; I think there's a difference between educating people (e.g. the stroke adverts spring to mind) and the current batch of e.g. Heart Disease ones; the young lad doing his exam and his dad enters the room on a 'last visit'.

IMHO these should focus more on "Look how well we're doing fighting xyz, but we need more money for research".
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            This one came up in Google search results when I was quite concerned about a funny feeling in my chest one Sunday afternoon. As soon as I'd watched it I dialled 999, and it turned out I was actually having a heart attack, and within an hour I was having an angioplasty. So don't knock 'em

Great video, very informative. Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
              Have to agree; I think there's a difference between educating people (e.g. the stroke adverts spring to mind) and the current batch of e.g. Heart Disease ones; the young lad doing his exam and his dad enters the room on a 'last visit'.

IMHO these should focus more on "Look how well we're doing fighting xyz, but we need more money for research".
              Which style of adverts grabs your attention and makes you feel more worried? The adverts that work are the ones they will use.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                Now, don't get me wrong. I'm happy to run a marathon for the British Heart Foundation and I recognise the sterling work such charities do but is there really any need for those depressing ads on Freeview?

One minute you're enjoying a bit of escapism watching Ken Masters and Jan Howard having a good romp on the deck of some gin palace in the Solent, the next you're suddenly presented with a rather unpleasant reminder that you could die soon. Horribly.

It puts me on a real downer.

I think the worst one at the moment is the BHF one where the bridesmaid dies at her sister's wedding and her voiceover intones the words "sorry to ruin your big day sis".

I watch freeview to escape all the depressing bilge on BBC; Eastenders etc. but it seems the tentacles of the miserabilists reach everywhere these days.

Take 5 and just think how terrible things really would be.......

If you were real
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Take 5 and just think how terrible things really would be.......

If you were real
                  Still can be killed off though...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
                    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Youth of today. Snowflakes the lot of 'em. We grew up with very present threat of nuclear war!

Like the moment when the brakes lock
                    And you slide towards the big truck
                    "Oh no!"
                    "Daddy, Daddy!"
                    You stretch the frozen moments with your fear.
                    And you'll never hear their voices
                    And you'll never see their faces
                    You have no recourse to the law anymore.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X