• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector developer average daily rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector developer average daily rates

Hi there,

I'm conducting a bit of a personal poll to see what the average daily rates are for software developers in the public sector (eg: government, NHS, etc). In my current contract many of us are through different agencies, and I've heard mumblings of various daily rates - so want to try and see if I'm being underpaid or not.

I'm paid through an agency, so I realise their margin will effect the rate. But if anyone is willing to post their rate (or a range) then that would be much appreciated.

Or if anyone knows the rates agencies charge the PS clients, that would be even better!

Originally posted by contractorgeoff View Post
    Hi there,

I'm conducting a bit of a personal poll to see what the average daily rates are for software developers in the public sector (eg: government, NHS, etc). In my current contract many of us are through different agencies, and I've heard mumblings of various daily rates - so want to try and see if I'm being underpaid or not.

I'm paid through an agency, so I realise their margin will effect the rate. But if anyone is willing to post their rate (or a range) then that would be much appreciated.

Or if anyone knows the rates agencies charge the PS clients, that would be even better!
    Well Geoff, there is no flat rate for any PS role. Every client is different and every agency takes a different cut from the end client.

What we CAN say, however, is that you'll be earning approximately 30% less on the 6th April as you were earning on the 5th.

HTH.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by contractorgeoff View Post
      Hi there,

Add an anonymous poll.

Comment

And as for contractors posting their rate (or even range) on this forum...

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          What we CAN say, however, is that you'll be earning approximately 30% less on the 6th April as you were earning on the 5th.
          Only if inside IR35 or the client can't be bothered to make an assessment so just tells you that they are going to treat you that way anyway.
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            And as for contractors posting their rate (or even range) on this forum...

I will post for sasguru.

£2K per day working from home.

Comment

If the department is subject to the FOI they would provide monthly data sets which you should be able to find via Google of the amount they are paying out to their contractors.

If you know the margins of some of the agencies then you can make a rough guess of the rates.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks all. FOI request is a great idea 😀

And yep aware of IR35 changes - that's a conversation for another thread though.

Comment

You'd be better camping on itjobswatch and doing a bit more focused research.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why don't you post your rate and what you do first, Geoff? That way, it will encourage everyone else to pile in and add their details.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
                    X